OOTA ball

hobart76

italian
Buongiorno a tutti, sto traducendo i sottotitoli di un episodio di una serie televisiva americana, Rockford Files, mai doppiato in italiano. Il lavoro è andato via liscio, tranne per un paio di questioni, tra cui una che vi pongo qui. Il protagonista sta cercando di piazzare dei biglietti per un evento che mira a raccogliere fondi per una associazione di camionisti (OOTA: Owner Operated Truckers Association). Lui più volte parla di una OOTA ball, non riesco a capire se con il termine ball intenda una "partita", un "evento", un "ballo". Il contesto non mi aiuta fornendo ulteriori dettagli al riguardo. Se qualche native speaker potesse aiutarmi mi farebbe un grosso favore.
Grazie in anticipo

• hobart76

italian
    It's a fundraising ball.

"He was just trying to sell tickets to the OOTA (Owner Operated Truckers Association) fund raising ball" - Google Search

https://www.realbuzz.com/articles-i...whats-a-charity-gala-ball-and-what-to-expect/

Charity gala balls are held to raise funds for all manner of different charities and they vary in level of grandeur on display at each event.
    Thanks for your prompt replay, but i cannot find the right italian word to translate It :-(
    Evento? Serata di gala?
    Thanks again

Last edited:

MR1492

English -USA
    Ballo di beneficenza?
    Poi mi sembra che sia "Operator", non "Operated".

Thanks for your suggestion! It sounds perfect! On IMDb It is written operated, maybe it is a mistake, i don't know.

i believe either is correct. So, if the original text says “owner operated,” that should be fine. One thing to consider is that the name of the organization may be fictional and it may use this phraseology to avoid using the name of an actual association.

Phil

Mary49

Italian
    i believe either is correct. So, if the original text says “owner operated,” that should be fine. One thing to consider is that the name of the organization may be fictional and it may use this phraseology to avoid using the name of an actual association.
    It isn't the original text. It's a user review by a member of IMDb.

MR1492

English -USA
    It isn't the original text. It's a user review by a member of IMDb.

Thanks, Mary. However, I must stand by my post. Either one is “correct.” The members could be called “owner operators“ or “owner operated truckers.” In the former, “operators” is the noun modified by ”owner.” In the latter, “operated” is an adjective modifying “truckers.” Since the organization’s acronym is OOTA, I think “operated“ is more than likely correct.

Regardless, I think we might be getting off topic.

Phil

MR1492

English -USA
    Try googling "owner operator trucker / truck driver"...

I am not doubting your ability to do research! Your abilities in that area are legendary. However, I have been a native speaker of English for over 70 years and I know some owner-operators. If you don’t want to accept my input, you can ignore it. I do, however, stand by my statement.

I also believe we are slightly off topic and I would not be averse to having the moderators lock this one down.

Phil