Open an account on Facebook

iheartportugues

English
Hi everyone. I am trying to understand the difference between the following. Both mean "Open an account on Facebook" but there are differences between the two. Can you tell me why there is a "aan" ending on Hasaba (account) and why there is an 'alif before fataHa (open) on the first sentence (imperative?). I have bolded the parts that differ. Can you translate each sentence, so I have an idea of how they differ?
!شكرا جزيلا

ا
فتح حسابًا في فيس بوك

فتح حساب في فيس بوك

• cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Hi,

افتح حسابًا في فيس بوك uses the verb to open in the imperative افتح . So the word Hisaab takes a tanween (an) because it's the object of the verb. (you can search the forum for the threads about tanween).
    فتح حساب في فيس بوك uses the maSdar (opening) so the word Hisaab is a مضاف إليه muDaaf ilayhi and takes a kasra (and is pronounced Hisaabin). You can also search for the threads about muDaaf ilahi.

iheartportugues

English
    Hi,

افتح حسابًا في فيس بوك uses the verb to open in the imperative افتح . So the word Hisaab takes a tanween (an) because it's the object of the verb. (you can search the forum for the threads about tanween).
    فتح حساب في فيس بوك uses the maSdar (opening) so the word Hisaab is a مضاف إليه muDaaf ilayhi and takes a kasra (and is pronounced Hisaabin). You can also search for the threads about muDaaf ilahi.
    Thanks for the reply. Is the tanween (accusative marker) necessary or is it only needed in formal Arabic? Would you say it in spoken speech?

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Thanks for the reply.
    You're welcome.
    Is the tanween (accusative marker) necessary or is it only needed in formal Arabic? Would you say it in spoken speech?
    Some words are used like that in spoken/colloquial Arabic, like shukran شكرًا and ahlan أهلاً . But this question too was discussed before. You may like to search the forum to find some of the previous useful discussions.

< Previous | Next >