open-fire?

< Previous | Next >
How to interpret "open-fire" in the following sentence:

"Though marriage, coupled with open-fire, is an out-moded institution, most of the West still take marriage seriously."??

Thank you for your kindly help in advance.

• Tacherie

Spanish - Argentina
    I'm thinking of open-fire as the thing you say before starting an attack, a battle...

So may be, paraphrasing: "tough marriage, usually assosiated with fighting/battle"... Could this make sense in your context?

I'm thinking of open-fire as the thing you say before starting an attack, a battle...

So may be, paraphrasing: "tough marriage, usually assosiated with fighting/battle"... Could this make sense in your context?
    I thought so though there is no context. One of my colleagues thinks that open-fire may refer to the wedding. So I asked her if she could see any open fire in a western wedding? I doubted.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    An open fire is a mode of domestic heating in which combustible materials are ignited in a purpose-built construction within the home. Most of the resultant heat vanishes up the chimney, but some proportion of the heat is radiated from the combustion process to warm the inhabitants. Some also warms the structure of the home.

The open fire, rather like marriage, is considered by many to be an out-moded institution.

An open fire is a mode of domestic heating in which combustible materials are ignited in a purpose-built construction within the home. Most of the resultant heat vanishes up the chimney, but some proportion of the heat is radiated from the combustion process to warm the inhabitants. Some also warms the structure of the home.

The open fire, rather like marriage, is considered by many to be an out-moded institution.
    Oh, so you mean open-fire here is like fireplace. It really makes sense here:) Thank you!

< Previous | Next >