Open here I flung the shutter, when, with many a flirt and flutter

< Previous | Next >

Распутин

Brazilian Portuguese
Hello, this is gonna be a pretty different thread, if you compare to the others, so please bear with me.

"The Raven" is a narrative poem written by Edgar Allan Poe in 1845, the English there used is somewhat complicated, probably because it was the vocabulary used back then.

I am not creating this thread to ask others to help me understand the poem, I already catched its message, my curiosity simply won't calm down regarding some specific verses of the poem, verses whose words construct the sentence whose meaning remains unknown, from my part.

<< The full text of The Raven can be found HERE. >>

Here we go:

<<...>>

At the first verse of the seventh strophe it reads;
"Open here I flung the shutter, when, with many a flirt and flutter,"
Well, not much the say here, no matter how many times I (attempt to) read this, I won't understand its message.
What is it trying to say?

<<...>>

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • owlman5

English-US
    This means that he opened the shutters in a sudden, violent way. Then the raven, moving about nervously, came in.

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    Adding the following line helps to make sense of it:

Open here I flung the shutter, when, with many a flirt and flutter,
    In there stepped a stately raven of the saintly days of yore.

The speaker is saying that he threw open the (window) shutters, and then a raven entered his room, fluttering its wings.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    "Here, I flung the shutter open ... " would be a more "normal" arrangement of the words. (Flung being the past form of fling - to throw with speed or force)

Myridon

English - US
    "... when, with many a flirt and flutter,
    In there stepped a stately raven of the saintly days of yore."
    The raven stepped in to the room "with many a flirt and flutter" - with lots of flirting and fluttering.
    From Merriam-Webster.com
    Flirt (n) - 1: an act of flirting.
    Flirt (v.t.) - 1: flick 2: to move in a jerky manner
    Flutter (n) - 1: an act of fluttering
    Flutter (v.i.) - 1: to flap the wings rapidly 2 a : to move with quick wavering or flapping motions b : to vibrate in irregular spasms 3: to move about or behave in an agitated aimless manner

< Previous | Next >