open space office versus open plan office

< Previous | Next >

Hese

German
Hello there,

I have a question concerning the word "open space office". In German and French this is the appropriate term to describe a certain type of office.

However, in English text I always read "open plan office" so I wonder whether "open space office " is ever used in English speaking countries...

Thank you very much for your help

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    "Open plan" is the normal expression for this. I'm not sure that "open space" office would convey the same meaning. I think outdoors when I read "open space".

Hese

German
    ok, so in English you'd never use "I work in an open space office". That's good to know. Strange that the term is used in French and German, isn't it?

Sowka

Forera und Moderatorin
    German, Northern Germany
    Hello :)

In my German environment, either the German word is used or "open plan", for this concept. I associate "open space" with software or with team meetings, as explained in Wikipedia:
    Open Space Technology (OST) offers a method to run meetings of groups of any size. ("Technology" in this case means tool — a process; a method.) OST represents a self-organising process; participants construct the agenda and schedule during the meeting itself. (...)
    By the way: There are many "English" words in German that would surprise native speakers of English if they heard what these words mean in the German-speaking world ;)

< Previous | Next >