open to creativity

HolyUnicorn

Mandarin / the Shanghai Dialect
Hello:

When someone is open to new ideas, that means that person is willing to consider new ideas.

When someone is open to creativity, does it mean that person is willing to use imagination to produce new things?

• lingobingo

English - England
    In “being open to new ideas”, open to is meant in the sense of receptive to (rather than its other meaning: subject to). I’ve never heard that expression used in relation to anything other than ideas, suggestions, comments, etc. — which you’re inviting other people to provide. Used the same way, being open to creativity would mean being receptive to other people’s creativity. But since that’s probably not what’s intended, I’d be inclined to classify it as a misunderstanding or even a misuse of the idiom.

HolyUnicorn

Mandarin / the Shanghai Dialect
    In “being open to new ideas”, open to is meant in the sense of receptive to (rather than its other meaning: subject to). I’ve never heard that expression used in relation to anything other than ideas, suggestions, comments, etc. — which you’re inviting other people to provide. Used the same way, being open to creativity would mean being receptive to other people’s creativity. But since that’s probably not what’s intended, I’d be inclined to classify it as a misunderstanding or even a misuse of the idiom.
    Thanks, lingobingo. :)

< Previous | Next >