open top bus??

< Previous | Next >

nanne1989

english - ireland
how would i say in portuguese...

They went with him on an open top bus tour???

...contigo na excursao..

Finding it difficult!!

• Vanda

Moderesa de Beagá
    Português/ Brasil
    Foram com ele numa excursão de ônibus de 2 andares. The problem is that we don't have this type of bus and we only know it from going to London or seeing on TV, so we don't have a specific word for that. The solution is to explain what kind of bus he was in: ônibus de 2 andares e aberto and immediately most of us will picture those London's buses.

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Vanda, não me parece que a característica definidora de um open top bus seja ter dois andares, mas o facto de que o andar de cima é aberto, não tem capota.

Nanne, can an open top bus have only 1 floor, like this one?

Vanda

Moderesa de Beagá
    Português/ Brasil
    We don't have any of them! I'd have to explain to the person who doesn't know what it is like so he/she can understand an open-top bus. Our excursions buses are all closed with air conditioner (don't have to say why the air conditioner around here, right?:D)

Ricardoreis

English (British)
    We don't have any of them! I'd have to explain to the person who doesn't know what it is like so he/she can understand an open-top bus. Our excursions buses are all closed with air conditioner (don't have to say why the air conditioner around here, right?:D)
    Haha, try an open bus tour of Belfast in the middle of winter :D

I've never seen a single-decker bus with an open top (or if I have, I've not registered it), but if I did, I would still call it an open top bus. I don't think, as Outsider says, the number of floors are particularly important but the major tourist buses with open tops do usually have two floors (otherwise where would you hide in the rain???)

Porteño

Member Emeritus
    British English
    In Argentina we have a few single-decker open-top excursion buses, but these will soon be replaced by double-decker ones. How about ônibus sem teto?

< Previous | Next >