open up more

emre aydın

Turkish
Jordan is the head of a brokerage firm. As he talks with his crew at the office, his father (Max) comes in shouting, angry with their expenses in last month.

Donnie(the vice president of the firm): The IRS(an agency that collects taxes), they allow for T&A. It's fine. (Donnie says "T&A" but the correct one is T&E, which means travel and expenses)
Max (gets angrier): T&E!

(After another quarrel over what Donnie has just said really)

Max: I'm getting this close!
Donnie: That's what I'm saying. I want you to open up more, Max. Why do you hold it in?

(The Wolf of Wall Street)

What does Donnie mean by "I want you to open up more"? "Express more things/your anger that you been holding in you against me", maybe?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
  • GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Without seeing the movie, I would say that Donnie is being ironic, or sarcastic. He is using a clichéd expression that means "you are too hesitant to express your emotions or your real feelings. I do not want you to suppress your real feelings about this matter, and to keep all your strong emotions hidden; instead, I want you to tell me what you really feel." Clearly, Max is holding nothing in, and is instead saying -- in a loud and unpleasant way -- exactly what he thinks about the situation.

emre aydın

Turkish
    Without seeing the movie, I would say that Donnie is being ironic, or sarcastic. He is using a clichéd expression that means "you are too hesitant to express your emotions or your real feelings. I do not want you to suppress your real feelings about this matter, and to keep all your strong emotions hidden; instead, I want you to tell me what you really feel." Clearly, Max is holding nothing in, and is instead saying -- in a loud and unpleasant way -- exactly what he thinks about the situation.
    Thank you, GWB. Can we say these ones instead:

Why do you hold it in you? (I guess we can)

Why do you hold in it? (I guess we can't)

< Previous | Next >