opened-eyed and open-mouthed

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Should it be "open-eyed and open-mouthed"? It seems to me that it is possible that the author deliberately wrote "opened-eyed" to humorously echo "open died", a state of trance. Simply a wild guess.

When he chanted Tibetan mantras or prayers, his voice swerved from a bass rumble to a squeaky falsetto. It was a funny but effective way to get us to loosen up and chant along. When we meditated, opened-eyed and open-mouthed, he urged us in a hypnotic murmur to let go of our cramped, fearful, grasping self and become our true self, which is big as the sky.

-Scientific American

Source: A Buddhism Critic Goes on a Silent Buddhist Retreat

• mgarizona

US - American English
    There is a notion in meditation called 'opening the third eye'. The notion might be that the group meditating had 'opened' third eyes? It's the best sense I can make of it.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    There is a notion in meditation called 'opening the third eye'. The notion might be that the group meditating had 'opened' third eyes? It's the best sense I can make of it.
    Taoist meditation?

Taoism teaches that the third eye, also called the mind's eye, is situated between the two physical eyes, and expands up to the middle of the forehead when opened.
    Source
    Nevertheless, the author is a senior writer of Scientific American, who would seriously reported that he opened his "third eye" during the retreat. So far no trace refers to the third eye.

< Previous | Next >