Opened from/in the working folder

Anello

Russian
Hello! Could you help me with the sentence below, please?

Change the value of the X attribute in the document opened for editing from/in the working folder.

I wanted to say that the user should change something in the document. The document is currently open in the editor called XMetal. The document was opened from the folder or in the folder ... From sounds better to me because IN means where. However my colleague insists on preposition IN. He may be right, but I would like to understand this usage.

Which preposition is correct? Please, correct any other mistakes in the sentence if necessary.

Thanks.

• Sharifa345

USA
    US English, DR Spanish
    I would use "in" also. "In" does mean where, which is why it works.
    "Where did you find the document you opened?"
    "In the folder."

Sneem

American English
    This is slightly confusing. Technically, the file is in the folder. It was launched from the folder (yet the file itself remains in the folder; even when opened).
    I would say 'in' in the context of your sentence. However, I also find that sentence oddly worded. I have never heard the phrase 'opened for editing from the working folder' (nor have I heard 'opened for editing in the working folder').
    I think either would be acceptable, as neither breaks any grammatical rules and I've heard both prepositions used in similar constructions. I'd stick with 'in' to be on the safe side; *EDIT* I'm looking at a technical manual right now that uses 'in' in this context.

Last edited:

Anello

Russian
    This is slightly confusing. Technically, the file is in the folder. It was launched from the folder (yet the file itself remains in the folder; even when opened).
    I would say 'in' in the context of your sentence. However, I also find that sentence oddly worded. I have never heard the phrase 'opened for editing from the working folder' (nor have I heard 'opened for editing in the working folder').
    I think either would be acceptable, as neither breaks any grammatical rules and I've heard both prepositions used in similar constructions. I'd stick with 'in' to be on the safe side; *EDIT* I'm looking at a technical manual right now that uses 'in' in this context.

You can open a file straight from the repository or you can open the file from a local folder (we call it a working folder). The file was retrieved from the repository to the working folder a while ago. I hope it is not even more confusing ;-)

Sneem

American English
    No, actually that made a little less confusing by giving me a little taste of the situation ^_^

But, yeah; I'd use 'in.' And thanks for the clarification.

< Previous | Next >