opening a dessert business

afatelgrand

papiamentu
Hi I wanted to know if there was a better way to write this sentence.

She came to this country with the idea of opening a dessert business that made Cuban recipes exclusively.

so she came to this country, with the idea of starting a ... "business" of making desserts -- and because she is Cuban, the "business" only makes Cuban sweets.

Thanks.

• Copyright

American English
    Welcome to the forum. :)

Your sentence is fine. Obviously there are many ways to write any sentence. Is there something that particularly concerns you with this one?

afatelgrand

papiamentu
    Thanks for replying Copyright.

Well it's towards the end that I get confused. "opening a dessert business that made Cuban recipes exclusively."

It kinda looks weird somehow. The word exclusively.

<< Only one topic in each thread please. >>

Last edited by a moderator:

Copyright

American English
    Well it's towards the end that I get confused. "opening a dessert business that made Cuban recipes exclusively."

It kinda looks weird somehow. The word exclusively.
    I'm asked to use exclusively quite often in my writing (sorry to say), and it's often a problem because it can sound awkward, as you've noticed. WyomingSue has offered a solution with "only" which is good. Here's one with exclusively:

She came to this country with the idea of opening a business devoted exclusively to (serving) Cuban desserts.

Majorbloodnock

British English
    You could, of course, simplify and say "She came to this country intending to start a Cuban desserts business". Admittedly, you're not using the word "exclusively", but it's implied nonetheless.

< Previous | Next >