Operational and Operable

• Operable is often applied to a machine you operate, e.g. a table saw. It means the thing works when you operate it.

Operational is very broad and applies, besides machines (i.e. that they work), for example, to an algorithm on a computer, a detailed battle plan to land on a beach in enemy territory. It means the plan is put into effect, realized. The make a concept operational is to figure out how to realize it. You may plan to assess new drivers of cars. Well, if you actually design the tests they will take, the questions, the road tests, you are making the concept operational.

DanielSeo

Korean
    Okay thank you. Is it okay to think that 'operable's is generally applied to physical objects like machines, etc., and 'operational' can be applied to both machines and concepts?

That is my opinion, yes, as to 'objects'; but note I specified other differences.

** By the way, the forum asks that you give sentences with the single words you're inquiring about. As you know, any word can have dozens of meanings, according to context.

Last edited:

DanielSeo

Korean
    That is my opinion, yes, as to 'objects'; but note I specified other differences.

** By the way, the forum asks that you give sentences with the single words you're inquiring about. As you know, any word can have dozens of meanings, according to context.
    Provide sentences with the words, Got it. Thanks

< Previous | Next >