operational systems of electronic customs handling

agargia

Spanish
Hola todos,​

I want to use this information in one of my essays, but I dont know how to change the content to avoid plagarism. I was thinking of something like this:​

Original "For example, results reported from several countries in operational systems of electronic customs handling are that the majority of declarations can be processed in a few minutes, with 24/7 availability and significant quality improvement. The same is noted with electronic
VAT obligations that are being developed throughout the EU and similar advantages are awaited from future computerisation of excise documents in the intra-community movements".​

Modified: According to the results reported from several countries in operational systems of electronic customs handling ( I have no idea how to change this) most of the declarations can be processed not only in a few minutes but also with 24/7 availability and an important quality improvement. Likewise, similar advantages are reported with VAT obligations throughout the EU and further advantages are awaited from the use of computers of internal docuements with community borders.​

Do they have the express the same idea?​

Thanks!!​

Last edited by a moderator:
  • cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Welcome to the forums, agargia.

Before getting to your paraphrase, it's important to point out that the syntax in the original is, to put it mildly, awful.

"...results reported from several countries in operational systems of electronic customs handling are..."

This is a flawed attempt to state that results reported from several countries using electronic customs handling systems...

You may wish to try paraphrasing it again, without repeating the jumbled wording of the original.

Waylink

English (British)
    Hola todos,​

I want to use this information in one of my essays, but I dont know how to change the content to avoid plagarism. I was thinking of something like this:​

Original "For example, results reported from several countries in operational systems of electronic customs handling are that the majority of declarations can be processed in a few minutes, with 24/7 availability and significant quality improvement. The same is noted with electronic
    VAT obligations that are being developed throughout the EU and similar advantages are awaited from future computerisation of excise documents in the intra-community movements".​
    The quotation has been correctly copied/transcribed from: "COMMUNICATION FROM THE COMMISSION TO THE COUNCIL, THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT, THE EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL COMMITTEE AND THE COMMITTEE OF THE REGIONS - The Role of eGovernment for Europe's Future [SEC(2003) 1038]"

Modified: According to the results reported from several countries in operational systems of electronic customs handling ( I have no idea how to change this) most of the declarations can be processed not only in a few minutes but also with 24/7 availability and an important quality improvement. Likewise, similar advantages are reported with VAT obligations throughout the EU and further advantages are awaited from the use of computers of internal docuements with community borders.​
    If you wish to show general understanding of the above but in plain English, I would suggest something like:

Experience of electronic customs handling systems in several countries indicates that most declarations can be processed in a few minutes, with 24/7 availability and significant (or worthwhile) improvements in quality. The electronic transfer of VAT information between countries in the EU has similar advantages. Extending the use of computer-based information systems documenting the movement of goods between countries in the EU are expected to produce similar benefits.

A word of caution: you refer to the need to avoid plagiarism. In some contexts, "plagiarism" means copying the (exact) words used. But in some contexts "plagiarism" covers copying the idea/s contained in the text, and simply rephrasing or paraphrasing the original but still expressing the same idea might still be seen as "plagiarism".

Sometimes, in lower academic studies, it is sufficient to rephrase/paraphrase the original into your own words to show that (a) you understood the original; and (b) you can write good clear English (in this case, hopefully improving on the original).

In higher academic studies, it is often better to simply provide a short verbatim quotation, acknowledge the source, and then explain it in your own words, give some specific examples, cite some additional benefits, or make some critical comment about whether you think it is true or not and why.

For example in the above quotation there is reference to "advantages are awaited from future computerisation". You could make some comments on what kinds of computerisation are planned, in which countries, and ask why this hasn't been done already or discuss the problems that arise from some EU countries having more advanced systems than others. You could also suggest that automated systems for customs and VAT should help to reduce (prevent and detect) the large amount of fraud and similar criminal activity that some allege is occurring in some EU countries.

I hope this helps a bit.

agargia

Spanish
    Dear both,

Many many thanks for your suggestions.

Waylink, I totally agree with you about plagarism. I of course acknowledge the source as a footnote. And yes, I make my own comments on that particular part of the COM. :)

Thank you. :)

< Previous | Next >