opinionated / self-opinionated

< Previous | Next >

sergiofreeman

Spanish

Hi There!

I want to know if there is any difference between these words, Are they interchangeable?

Context: People have their own opinions, sometimes are opinionated or self opinionated. Can I use any of these adjectives?

Many Thanks in advance.

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I'm familiar with "opinionated," which I'm sure is in the WR dictionary.

I've never heard the term "self-opinionated" and don't know what it might mean.

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    A question has just flashed in my mind:

Can I use "self-opinionated"in a predicate or in an adjective position?I am sure of the "opiniontaed"is used as an adjective or rather "a past participle"?

Copyright

American English
    Can I use "self-opinionated"in a predicate or in an adjective position?I am sure of the "opiniontaed"is used as an adjective or rather "a past participle"?
    If you will give us a sentence, we might be able to comment.

Copyright

American English
    Mr. X seems to be friendly but he seems to be self-opinionated unfortuantely.
    I wouldn't use it that way. It still sounds redundant -- about the best you can do is just use an emphasizer if you want: Mr. Bill is friendly but he's also quite opinionated, unfortunately.

Edit: Seconds after writing that, I realized that I was going on my own opinion and zero research. So I plugged self-opinionated into the Search box and, sure enough, there it is in the Concise Oxford. I won't be using it myself, but you certainly may. (And I should go delete all my personal-opinion comments, but I'll just leave this Edit instead.) :)

Last edited:

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    I wouldn't use it that way. It still sounds redundant -- about the best you can do is just use an emphasizer if you want: Mr. Bill is friendly but he's also quite opinionated, unfortunately.

Edit: Seconds after writing that, I realized that I was going on my own opinion and zero research. So I plugged self-opinionated into the Search box and, sure enough, there it is in the Concise Oxford. I won't be using it myself, but you certainly may. (And I should go delete all my personal-opinion comments, but I'll just leave this Edit instead.) :)
    Thanks, Copyright.
    It is because one usually uses their vocabularies stored in the"TM"--as I like to call it the temporary memory if it were to say.

Copyright

American English
    It is because one usually uses their vocabularies stored in the"TM"--as I like to call it the temporary memory if it were to say.
    In this case, it was never in my vocabulary and I won't be making room for it. Self-opinionated doesn't express anything more for me than simply opinionated. But that's just my opinion, as I've already admitted. :)

Loob

English UK
    The difference between "opinionated" and "self-opinionated", for me, is exactly that given in the WR dictionary:

self-opinionated

adjective
    having an arrogantly high regard for oneself or one's own opinions.

opinionated
    adjective
    assertively dogmatic in one's views.

Of course, if you have an extremely high opinion of yourself and your own views, you're also likely to express your views dogmatically!:)

Last edited:

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    The difference between "opinionated" and "self-opinionated", for me, is exactly that given in the WR dictionary:

self-opinionated
    adjective
    having an arrogantly high regard for oneself or one's own opinions.

opinionated
    adjective
    assertively dogmatic in one's views.

Of course, if you gave an extremely high opinion of yourself and your own views, you're also likely to express your views dogmatically!:)

Thanks, Loop.It is as clear as a crystal.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    In AE, "self-opinionated" (which I've just looked up in American Heritage) either is a synonym of opinionated (so why add "self-"?) or means vain or conceited. If I meant the latter, I'd say vain or conceited.

< Previous | Next >