Opportunely

Joturna

English
Hi there, could anyone clarify whether my use of the word opportunely is appropriate in the given context?

* Unfortunately, the model fitting techniques used in this study were not able to detect systematic variations in toxicity

- This limits the extent to which...
- A more powerful test could...

* Opportunely, Vladir (2000) has developed statistical formulations that could be used to modify the current techniques to increase sensitivity

Thanks in advance to anyone able to help. I'm also open to suggestions of synonyms, however I have not found the thesaurus to be helpful in this case.

Last edited:
  • Joturna

English
    Thanks for your input - they are not adjoining clauses. I have updated my original post to reflect this.

Joturna

English
    It would mean that Vladir's developments were opportune, ie. that they came at a time when they were particularly needed.
    Thank you for your help. I suspected that the definition did not extend to suit my purposes - I was hoping to express the idea that Vladir's developments provide a valuable opportunity to conduct more powerful analyses. However, given that his work was conducted over a decade ago, they could hardly be described as coming at a time when they are particularly needed.

I'll go with something else.

LeVoilà

English - U.S.
    Hi there, could anyone clarify whether my use of the word opportunely is appropriate in the given context?

* Unfortunately, the model fitting techniques used in this study were not able to detect systematic variations in toxicity

- This limits the extent to which...
    - A more powerful test could...

* Opportunely, Vladir (2000) has developed statistical formulations that could be used to modify the current techniques to increase sensitivity

Thanks in advance to anyone able to help. I'm also open to suggestions of synonyms, however I have not found the thesaurus to be helpful in this case.
    In that case, opportunely is fine.

You can also use fortunately, but I'm assuming that you do not want to have the "unfortunately/fortunately" contrast.

If you change "Unfortunately," that would free you in the latter clause.

I don't know anything about the subject being discussed, but perhaps you could say, "despite the advanced formulas... the model fitting techniques were not able.."

That would free you to say "fortunately" in the Vladir case, or "In fact, opportunity arose when Vladir.." or "In fact, the situation took an optimistic turn when Vladir.."

Gotta see more to really get a feel.. but again, opportunely is fine.

Joturna

English
    In that case, opportunely is fine.

You can also use fortunately, but I'm assuming that you do not want to have the "unfortunately/fortunately" contrast.

If you change "Unfortunately," that would free you in the latter clause.

I don't know anything about the subject being discussed, but perhaps you could say, "despite the advanced formulas... the model fitting techniques were not able.."

That would free you to say "fortunately" in the Vladir case, or "In fact, opportunity arose when Vladir.." or "In fact, the situation took an optimistic turn when Vladir.."

Gotta see more to really get a feel.. but again, opportunely is fine.

Thanks again for your help LeVoilà,

You are correct in that I am avoiding the "unfortunately/fortunately" contrast. The context does not serve many other possibilities. I would put the whole paragraph here to provide the context that is needed, however this work is for my honours thesis and I'm reluctant to have it online due to plagarism software that may pick up the correspondence when I later submit it.

I'll still with opportunely for now, but I'll keep your alternative suggestions in the back of my head as well.

wandle

English - British
    Why do you need an adverb at the start of the sentence? It seems perfectly good without one:

Vladir (2000) has developed statistical formulations that could be used to modify the current techniques to increase sensitivity.

< Previous | Next >