Opportunity in the crosshairs

Monsieur Leland

French - France
Hello,

Is it correct to say: "I'm glad to hear you have an opportunity in the crosshairs"?

This sentence intends to positively reply to the statement: "I have an opportunity to show my work in a very near future". Is "in the crosshairs" appropriate in this context?

Thanks.

• Barque

Tamil
    It's perfectly understandable but I'm not sure it really fits; I can't explain why.

I'd expect something like: ...opportunities lined up/coming up.

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hi Mr L. It doesn't sound good to me, because the "crosshairs" are in the sight of a rifle. It sounds as if you want to shoot or destroy the opportunities, so it doesn't convey a positive reply.

Monsieur Leland

French - France
    Thanks for your answers. @Barque, instead of writing "an opportunity coming up", wouldn't it be best to say "an upcoming opportunity"?

Also, would "an opportunity in the pipeline" or "an opportunity showing up" be acceptable?

Barque

Tamil
    That sounds a little formal, but yes, you could use it. Also: ...that you will have an opportunity...

By the way, is this part of a conversation, or an email or text message exchange? If a conversation, it would sound odd to repeat the word "opportunity" in your reply. Most people would say: I'm glad to hear that".

Monsieur Leland

French - France
    It is a reply to an email. I am starting the sentence with "I am glad to hear that you have an upcoming opportunity". It is not a problem if sounds formal, because it a professional correspondence.

< Previous | Next >