opportunity killer (soccer / football) ?

Resa Reader

Would someone of you native speakers use the term "opportunity killer" for someone who has a lot of chances of scoring a goal during a football match without once being successful. (Mario Gomez of Bayern München was often accused of being such an "opportunity killer" or whatever you'd call that.) Is there a term at all?

I was asked that by a young boy. (Couldn't really give him a satisfactory answer.)

Last edited:
  • Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    I can not recall that term having been applied to American football. It might have been used by a few sports journalists, but I don't think it is a standard, widely-used term.

I have heard of a "penalty killer" in ice hockey, but it's the opposite of what you are describing. In ice hockey, a player who commits a foul is forced to sit out the game for a number of minutes (depending on the seriousness of the offense) and may not be replaced. That leaves his team a "man down" or "shorthanded," outnumbered at least 6-5, creating a scoring opportunity, since there are not enough men to defend against each of the players on the team with the advantage. Teams often have players and even whole line-ups skilled at getting and keeping control of the puck or in preventing the other team from taking advantage of the penalty situation. They don't try to score, they just try to keep the other team from scoring until the penalty runs out and both teams have the same number of players on the ice. Players used in this situation are penalty killers.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Would someone of you native speakers use the term "opportunity killer"? No, this sounds like a direct translation but, given the context, I would understand it, although it doesn't sound as "cool" as it should do for such an epithet.

George French

English - UK
    Would someone of you native speakers use the term "opportunity killer" for someone who has a lot of chances of scoring a goal during a football match without once being successful. (Mario Gomez of Bayern München was often accused of being such an "opportunity killer" or whatever you'd call that.) Is there a term at all?
    New one on me.. Not is any soccer (Association Football) reporting I know... There are a few samples of this on the Internet relating to Association Football reporting. I have not yet been able to understand one of them..... I can guess but I'm not going to..

GF..

Resa Reader

Thanks for your answers. I guessed that this might not be the term and that there might not be a term at all. I would not have been able to give you a term in German either. (But then I'm not that much into soccer ...) I was given the German term, though, meaning something like "death to chances". (And I even don't know how widespread that is.)
    Well, never mind. It's not that important.

catlady60

English-US (New York City)
    Another term for "opportunity killers" is popular in AE, in the context of baseball. When a team is losing late in the game (in the late innings) and they rally by scoring a lot of runs, but need one more hit to tie or win the game, the one batter who spoils the team's chance to tie or win, usually by striking out or hitting into a double play (when the defense puts two men out in one play), is known as a rally killer.

I don't know if a rally killer would apply to football/soccer, but I wouldn't be surprised if this would be a good expression to describe a player who messes up a chance to score a goal.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    But rally isn't really used in soccer (not enough goals, usually, to bring the term to bear). Perhaps this person would be called something like a "lousy shot" or a "poor finisher" or just a "poor player"???

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I think "opportunity killer" means that the person sort of botches up the opportunities in general, and it doesn't have anything to do with a rally. I essentially agree with Julian that you might describe the person's skills.

Another phrase that no one would really say: opportunity squanderer

Or with "botch": he botches any opportunities/chances

< Previous | Next >