opposite of "a bit much"

< Previous | Next >

Syzygy

German
Hello,

how would you express the opposite of "a bit much"? Is it "a bit little"?
I'm thinking of pairs like "a bit strong"/"a bit weak", "a bit high"/"a bit low", etc.

Thanks!

• Syzygy

German
    Thank you! So, if someone gave me too little of something, I could say: "Excuse me, that was not much. Can I have some more?"?

Scott AM

English - Canada
    "Not much" or "a bit less" are the opposites of "a bit much".
    I have always read "a bit much" to be an idiomatic expression that really means "excessive" or "intolerable", especially with regards to behaviour. "His rudeness is a bit much." So would the opposite be "just right" (if there is an opposite?)

In terms of portions, the wording I would use is "a bit too much", and an opposite would be "not enough".

Everything else that has been posted looks good to me! :)

Syzygy

German
    I was thinking of the productive use of "a bit" + <adjective> to say that something is more <adjective> than expected/than it should be, e.g. "Your suitcase feels a bit light, are you sure you packed everything?" I think another way to say it would be "a tad much". But I guess with the adjective little it doesn't work and you have to rephrase.

Scott AM

English - Canada
    I was thinking of the productive use of "a bit" + <adjective> to say that something is more <adjective> than expected/than it should be, e.g. "Your suitcase feels a bit light, are you sure you packed everything?" I think another way to say it would be "a tad much". But I guess with the adjective little it doesn't work and you have to rephrase.
    No, you are correct. "This watch is a bit expensive", "The meal was a bit greasy", and so forth. I was only mentioning the idiomatic use of the phrase "a bit much". Even then, I believe it's more British English than anything (not that there's anything wrong with that, of course!)

< Previous | Next >