opposite of "a bit much"

Syzygy

German
Hello,

how would you express the opposite of "a bit much"? Is it "a bit little"?
I'm thinking of pairs like "a bit strong"/"a bit weak", "a bit high"/"a bit low", etc.

Thanks!

• Syzygy

German
    Thank you! So, if someone gave me too little of something, I could say: "Excuse me, that was not much. Can I have some more?"?

Scott AM

English - Canada
    "Not much" or "a bit less" are the opposites of "a bit much".
    I have always read "a bit much" to be an idiomatic expression that really means "excessive" or "intolerable", especially with regards to behaviour. "His rudeness is a bit much." So would the opposite be "just right" (if there is an opposite?)

In terms of portions, the wording I would use is "a bit too much", and an opposite would be "not enough".

Everything else that has been posted looks good to me! :)

Syzygy

German
    I was thinking of the productive use of "a bit" + <adjective> to say that something is more <adjective> than expected/than it should be, e.g. "Your suitcase feels a bit light, are you sure you packed everything?" I think another way to say it would be "a tad much". But I guess with the adjective little it doesn't work and you have to rephrase.

Scott AM

English - Canada
    I was thinking of the productive use of "a bit" + <adjective> to say that something is more <adjective> than expected/than it should be, e.g. "Your suitcase feels a bit light, are you sure you packed everything?" I think another way to say it would be "a tad much". But I guess with the adjective little it doesn't work and you have to rephrase.
    No, you are correct. "This watch is a bit expensive", "The meal was a bit greasy", and so forth. I was only mentioning the idiomatic use of the phrase "a bit much". Even then, I believe it's more British English than anything (not that there's anything wrong with that, of course!)

< Previous | Next >