opposite of continental or metropolitan

Gwan

New Zealand, English
I have a feeling there's not a word for this, but you never know. Is there a term for the opposite of continental or metropolitan in the sense of 'continental France' or 'metropolitan France'? I want to say something along the lines of 'this database covers the whole of France, including its overseas departments and territories', which is fine, I can just write that, but I'm just curious if there's an adjective for that.

• Renaissance man

I'm not sure you should use "metropolitan" here. The opposite of metropolitan would be "rural"; pertaining to the countryside. That doesn't seem to be the word you're looking for.

Describing the entirety of a nation, and not just the main land part, probably can't be done with a single adjective.

Gwan

New Zealand, English
    I'm not sure you should use "metropolitan" here. The opposite of metropolitan would be "rural", pertaining to the countryside. That doesn't seem to be the word you're looking for.
    I'm not using metropolitan, but just FYI, while 'metropolitan' does refer to cities, when used with the name of a country (at least in the case of France) it is a synonym for 'mainland France' or something along those lines. See, for example, the Wikipedia article on 'Metropolitan France'.

Brioche

Australia English
    Metropolitan and Overseas France is a possibility, but I think "the whole of France, including its overseas departments and territories" would be clearer for people who are not acquainted with the concepts of l'Hexagone and the DOM-TOM.

Brioche

Australia English
    I'm not sure you should use "metropolitan" here. The opposite of metropolitan would be "rural"; pertaining to the countryside. That doesn't seem to be the word you're looking for.

Describing the entirety of a nation, and not just the main land part, probably can't be done with a single adjective.
    "métropolitaine" in French, particularly in the expression France métropolitaine has a very different meaning from metropolitan in English.

Renaissance man

I learned something new, then :)

It seems the term is indeed rather dated outside of France, and in France quite controversial.

I think most people hearing phrases like "life in metropolitan England" would think of life in a typical, big English city.

Gwan

New Zealand, English
    I learned something new, then :)

It seems the term is indeed rather dated outside of France, and in France quite controversial.

I think most people hearing phrases like "life in metropolitan England" would think of life in a typical, big English city.
    You are most likely right in the case of England or other countries, particularly if people are not familiar with the term as applied to France. I don't think 'metropolitan France' is controversial amongst ordinary people in metropolitan France, although I can understand why someone in Pointe-à-Pitre, for example, may object :)

Thanks everyone for the input, I think I will just stick with what I wrote originally.

< Previous | Next >