opposite of "merge"

• Packard

USA, English
    "Spin off"

A larger company no longer wants to retain ownership of a smaller subsidiary, they sell that subsidiary to the subsidiary which makes payments to the parent company.

This process is called "spinning off".

Packard

USA, English
    Daimler Chrysler is set to "sell" the Chrysler division.

The newspapers are referring to this as a "divorce".

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Spin off is one possibility. It may involve an operating unit, a wholly owned subsidiary, or even a product line.
    Buyers may be corporate entities, private investors, or management of the spun off unit. Divestiture is another word which is used to describe the separation of what is typically a company owned by another. Divestiture may also be used to describe the sale of an operating unit, which is reconstituted as a corporate entity.

Sale is yet another term for these separations of operating units or businesses.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Particularly if it is the dissolution of a previous merger, it is a demerger. But I don't think demerger is restricted to this context. I don't think demerge sounds at all familiar though.

liliput

U.K. English
    I looked in a thesaurus to see if it listed any antonyms, and it doesn't. The best I can come up with is "diverge".

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    How does split sound in this context? Too vague, pehaps? As in: an insurance company that split off from a bank. They were a financial conglomerate that split.
    If the newpapers can refer to it as a "divorce", then I don't see why not.

The problem is that you need to use a term of "insiders" (people in this circle) to be understood (or taken seriously)......And I am sorry this is way too far from my profession.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    Splitting up a business venture is something you hear quite frequency in the financial media here. For example, various multinationals have made takeover bids for a major Australian company in recent times, and there have been discussions as to whether any new owner would "split XXX (the company) up", rather than keeping all its operations under the same banner. I'd imagine that could be said to be the opposite of "merging".

< Previous | Next >