opposite of 'shy': 'natural'?

< Previous | Next >
  • sdgraham

USA English
    No, it is not.

It just implies "not shy" here, under the assumption that "shy" is not natural.

"Natural" seems a poor choice of words, however. Answer D works well, despite what the teacher or answer key might say.

Were you asked specifically for an "opposite?"

Last edited:

sdgraham

USA English
    Thank you for your prompt answer. Is not shy one of the definitions of the word natural?
    No, it is not.

There are innumerable negative human conditions that are considered odd or unnatural. "Natural" simply means "not odd or unnatural."

It's not a particularly good word in the exercise you cite.

I think you need to consult the dictionary here for definitions of "natural."

Also check "normal

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    The only sensible answer is "different", but that has nothing to do with his being shy earlier.

The online source where you are getting these questions is not reliable; you shouldn't trust it for guidance in learning English.

I have consulted several dictionaries for the definitions of "natural", including Merriam-Webster's Advanced Learner's English Dictionary, and none of them showed that "natural" could mean not shy. As you pointed out, answer D works very well. Thank you for your useful help.

papakapp

English - NW US
    It seems like "shy" would be a very difficult word to find an antonym for. If native speakers were allowed to choose among "brash", "extroverted" and "confident", I doubt you would find a consensus.

sdgraham

USA English
    I have consulted several dictionaries for the definitions of "natural", including Merriam-Webster's Advanced Learner's English Dictionary, and none of them showed that "natural" could mean not shy.
    You seem to have a case of tunnel vision.

If you have natural physical development, that probably means your feet are not growing out of your head and your eyes are not in your buttocks, but I doubt you will find that specific definition in a dictionary.

Nipnip

Español
    The problem lies in that whoever wrote the example sees shyness as an affectation or behavioural condition, where natural would mean free of such ailments. By "natural" they mean he acts naturally, without fears or reserves. But if he is natural, what are the rest of them? Also, one is "a natural" when one conduces oneself aptly within a given context with no apparent effort.

< Previous | Next >