opposite of stony and salty

snowdrop

Turkish
Hello,
What is the opposite of the adjectives in these sentences?
This mountain is stony.
The food is very salty.

• Alisterio

UK English
    As such, I'm not sure that stones or salt have opposites. In the context, you could say that the mountain is grassy and the food is bland, but there are probably many, many more possibilities.

tepatria

Canadian English
    I can't think of actual opposites for these words. If the mountain is not stony it could be snow-covered, or heavily treed. Food that is not salty is just that, not salty, although I have heard "Put some salt on that. It is too bland." But bland is not the opposite of salty.

snowdrop

Turkish
    I see... Thank you. In fact my aim is to make two sentences out of those two sentences using "too" and "enough"

This mountain is too stony to climb.
    This soup is too salty to eat.
    What about the sentences with enough? This soup is bland enough to eat. I think it didn't give the meaning we want... Hmm shouldn't I look for the opposites? Then?

Alisterio

UK English
    I can see where you're going with this, but it's a bit of a tricky one. I don't think either "the mountain is grassy enough to climb" or "the soup is bland enough to eat" make much sense. Maybe you should pick adjectives that have clearer antonyms:
    "He is too tall to fit in the tunnel, but she is small enough to climb through the hole", for example.

pitseleh

USA, English
    "The mountain is too stony to climb." Do you mean it is too rocky to climb? In that case, I suggest smooth as an opposite.

I have always thought sweet is the opposite of salty (at least when it comes to the junk food aisle in the supermarket!).

But, as the others have said, stony and salty do not have very clear opposites.

snowdrop

Turkish
    I can see where you're going with this, but it's a bit of a tricky one. I don't think either "the mountain is grassy enough to climb" or "the soup is bland enough to eat" make much sense. Maybe you should pick adjectives that have clearer antonyms:
    "He is too tall to fit in the tunnel, but she is small enough to climb through the hole", for example.
    I have a worksheet with many questions of them. I also have these two ones. Just can not clean them or write the whole worksheet again,but giving the questions whose answers I dont know to the students doesnt seem logical, too.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I would disagree. A stone can be perfectly smooth. There is no inherent opposition between "stony" and "smooth". "Stony" has no opposite other than "stone-free", or "unstony", just as "salty" has no opposite other than "lacking salt" or "salt-free" or "unsalty", onr "non-salty".

< Previous | Next >