opposite of "up to date"

< Previous | Next >

Phi

USA
Arabic
I am looking for the opposite of "up to date" to complete the following sentence

Are your vaccinations up to date or ........?

I am considering " late" because I think " out of date" is not suitable here. Correct? any comments/ suggestions?

• djmc

English - United Kingdom
    Out of date looks normal to me. In the same context one could have update (means bring up to date) and outdated (out of date).

Matching Mole

England, English
    I agree "out of date" isn't quite appropriate here, as it seems to suggest that the vaccination doses themselves are out of date (i.e. "past their use-by date"). I'd probably say "Are you behind with your vaccinations?".

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    There are several choices here. Simply stop the sentence after "date". Replace the ..... with "not". Finally, how about "Are your vaccinations current or overdue?"

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Let's suppose that we are talking to a non-medical person to find out if his vaccinations are up-to-date, and not discussing the language used to medical people to find if batches of the vaccine are past their sell-by date.

I think I'd say: are your vaccinations (or jabs) up-to-date? or are you up-to-date with your vaccinations? The formula suggests that these are vaccinations which need to be renewed occasionally, like tetanus jabs.

I don't think I would ever use, or have ever heard, an antonym for up-to-date used in this context.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I agree: Just end the question with ...up to date? Or: ...up to date, or not? We don't call them "jabs," by the way; here, they're shots. (Except for a couple of oral and nasal vaccines, used mainly for little kids.)

< Previous | Next >