Opposites

KHUKU

Indian,Bengali
Hi,I want a opposite word for "giving up".I would be very greatful,if youcan give the opposite.Thanxs

• GenJen54

USA - English
    Hi Khuku,

Welcome to the Forums. Could you please provide us with some context, such as the sentence where you saw this?

We need to know if "give up" here means surrender, quit or give away. Thank you.

KHUKU

Indian,Bengali
    Thanxs but I wanted the opposite of " giving up ".Actually it is hometask for my kid who is now grade 4.

GenJen54

USA - English
    I understand you want the opposite for giving up.

However, there are several meanings for "giving up." As such, there are several potential opposite meanings, not just one.

Unless you can provide us with a sentence, I'm afraid we cannot provide much assistance.

Please also take a look at our policy regarding homework, which you can find HERE.

KHUKU

Indian,Bengali
    From the word even I can't find the exact meaning,as the hometask were given in a sheet of paper stating give the opposite.So according to me it means to surrender.

maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    If one is just faced with "give up" and you require an opposite I would suggest "take up" - give/take are regularly linked opposites. I would use an example such as "I took up smoking at the age of 15" contrasted with "I gave up smoking at the age of 45" if examples are needed.

I presume that what you say is true, and there is no context - that the other words to be worked with don't relate to 'give up' in any way, and that the words in themselves don't come from a text-book which the students have studied in the class.

KHUKU

Indian,Bengali
    Will it work for grade 4 child as you know kids of his age try to do it in short cut way.Iam just asking whether it will work or not.The education of our times were different then now.

maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    Will it work for grade 4 child as you know kids of his age try to do it in short cut way.Iam just asking whether it will work or not.The education of our times were different then now.
    I cannot answer what will 'work' in another country.
    I cannot answer because I don't fully understand what you mean by "will it work". I do not know the teacher involved, or the pupil, so I cannot guess whether the teacher will accept the work as being the child's own work, if that is what you mean.

paperclip013

Bulgarian, Bulgaria
    Hola,

The opposite of "to give up" varies depending on the context, in which you use the words.

A few examples:

1.He gave up his dream of becoming a doctor.

He persevered in becoming a doctor.
    or
    He fervently/faithfully/diligently/devoutly pursued his dream of becoming a doctor.

2. He gave up his weapons.

He kept his weapons.

3. He gave up the spirit. (Slang for "He died.")

He survived.
    or
    He lived despite the circumstances (you may specify what these are.)

4. He gave up smoking. (Same as "He quit smoking.")

He continued smoking.
    or
    He kept (on) smoking.

Best,
    Paperclip013

< Previous | Next >