\ or / in written English?

< Previous | Next >

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
I'm a Mac user and have never used a PC ( :eek: ) so the backslash \ looks very unusual to me - and therefore sticks out noticeably. I thought it was only ever used in designating a "path" for a file in a PC system - not in English or even in URLs (which are also quite fussy). Is there a place for it outside the PC file organization/naming system - i.e. anywhere where a "/" (stroke/slash/virgule) could/should be replaced with the \ ?

Thanks
JS

• Matching Mole

England, English
    I understand \ to be a fairly recent invention created specifically for computer programming. On that basis it seems to have no real place in the English language. So, I would say, in answer to your question, that outside of computing the answer is No.

mplsray

I'm a Mac user and have never used a PC ( :eek: ) so the backslash \ looks very unusual to me - and therefore sticks out noticeably. I thought it was only ever used in designating a "path" for a file in a PC system - not in English or even in URLs (which are also quite fussy). Is there a place for it outside the PC file organization/naming system - i.e. anywhere where a "/" (stroke/slash/virgule) could/should be replaced with the \ ?

Thanks
    JS
    The Merriam-Webster dictionaries have used the backslash for many years to bracket pronunciations, but that use is pretty much limited to them.

< Previous | Next >