or lower

< Previous | Next >

navi

Banned
armenian
Which are correct:

1-For each item bought, you can take another one of the same price or lower for free.
2-For each item bought, you can take another one of at most the same price for free.
3-For each item bought, you will get another one which has the same price or lower for free.
4-For each item bought, you will get another one which has the some price or a lower one for free.

I'd say "1" is the easiest way to do it. I suppose "or lower" stands for "or a lower price".
I think they all could be used.

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    "You will get" is wrong, because you won't get it automatically -- you have to select it and present it as part of your purchase.

Sentences (1) and (2) are all right, although neither is a particularly graceful way of expressing this concept. Also, in sentence (1) it ought to read "of the same price or less," or "of the same or lower price."

navi

Banned
    armenian
    Thank you Glenfarclas.

I am trying to improve them.

1a-For each item bought, you can take another one of the same price or less for free.
    2-For each item bought, you can take another one of at most the same price for free.

3a-For each item bought, you can take another one which has the same price or lower for free.
    4a-For each item bought, you can take another one which has the some price or a lower one for free.

Are "3a" and "4a" correct?
    I am not at all sure about "3a". Maybe it should be "or less" instead of "or lower"?

Last edited:

rinmach

English, Russian
    To me, 1a sounds the best, and 2 is correct but sounds awkwardly worded.
    3a and 4a sound forced to me, although they are grammatically correct, I would stay away from using them.
    You could also say:
    For each item you buy, you can take another of the same price or less for free.

< Previous | Next >