order of words- strains of antagonistic bacteria were tested in ...

sergtab

Russian, Russia
Please tell me, which sentence sounds better? Thank you!
1. In 2006 in the Institute of Parasitology 7 http://multitran.ru/c/m.exe?a=sa&t=7601_2_1&sc=0perspective strains of antagonistic bacteria were tested to reveal their suppression effect on pathogenic nematodes and fungi that causes root rot.
2. In 2006, 7 http://multitran.ru/c/m.exe?a=sa&t=7601_2_1&sc=0perspective strains of antagonistic bacteria were tested in the Institute of Parasitology to reveal their suppression effect on pathogenic nematodes and fungi that causes root rot.

• Please tell me, which sentence sounds better? Thank you!
    1. In 2006, in the Institute of Parasitology, 7 perspective strains of antagonistic bacteria were tested to reveal their suppression effect on pathogenic nematodes and fungi that causes root rot.
    2. In 2006, 7 perspective strains of antagonistic bacteria were tested in the Institute of Parasitology to reveal their suppression effect on pathogenic nematodes and fungi that causes root rot.
    I think the first sentence sounds better, with the commas which I have inserted.

LRV

kkamannn

US of A (Inglés)
    My vote is #3

3. In 2006, the Institute of Parasitology tested seven perspective strains of antagonistic bacteria to reveal their suppression effect on pathogenic nematodes and fungi that causes root rot.

Both #1 and #2 use a passive voice, instead of an active voice. Active voice is more readable and interesting to the reader. Passive voice means you are explaining that something was done to something else (i.e. bacteria was tested). Active voice means that you are explaining that something did something (i.e. institute tested bacteria)

The most common way (not always) you can tell something is passive, is when "was" or "were" is used. In passive voice, the "receiver" (bacteria) is the subject of the sentence. In active voice, the "doer" is the subject of the sentence. Usually, swapping the front and the back of the main part of the sentence fixes the problem. This example is no different.

Also, numbers 0-10 should be spelled out. Over 10, use numbers.

Cracker Jack

The only thing I noticed is the use of the word ''perspective.'' In laboratory experiments, when one strain or type is yet being tested and whose properties as a strain is not fully established, the word ''prospective'' is used.

< Previous | Next >