order "off / off of / from" the menu (= a la carte?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chatty Guy

China, Chinese
I was wondering which of the following allows for customization in a eater:

to order off the menu
to order off of the menu

Is "order from the menu" common in the US?

any ideas? Thanks !

• Chatty Guy

China, Chinese
    When people "order off the menu", "order off of" and "order from the menu", are the food items supposed to be "a la carte", written there on the menu? Thanks!

Chatty Guy

China, Chinese
    The following examples:
    http://gomestic.com/consumer-information/the-dollar-menu-trap/
    So you go to a fast food restaurant of your choice, and you make your order off of the menu that is numbered 1-10. So lets say that you are at McDonalds and #1 is the Big Mac. Well for a little more than 5$ plus tax takes you up to 6$ (rounding the actual cost). You get your food and you think to yourself, this burger really isn’t that big, and all I got with it was some fries and a drink.

http://www.portillos.com/faq/faq.asp?CATEGORY_ID=14
    At select Portillo's locations: There is no charge for the room when the Banquet Menu is used. A Room Charge will apply if: 1.) The guests order off of the menu,
    Q: Can I order off the menu for my banquet?

My question is, when people "order off the menu", "order off of the menu" and "order from the menu", are the food items supposed to be written there on the menu, "a la carte"? Thanks!

<< Moderators note: This thread has been merged with an earlier thread on the same topic. >>

Last edited by a moderator:

Copyright

American English
    My question is, when people "order off the menu", "order off of the menu" and "order from the menu", are the food items supposed to be written there on the menu, "a la carte"? Thanks!
    Yes, the items are written on the menu -- they don't allow you to order items that you're simply fond of that don't appear on the menu, or to substitute items for what is listed (no zucchini chips to replace your ordinary chips, for example).

It doesn't have anything to do with "a la carte," which is simply ordering items separately. The menu may feature both a la carte and set meal choices. If it's on the menu, you can have it.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Ordering from the menu means from what is written on the menu.
    BE is normally "from", possibly "off", but never "off of".
    Some time ago, panj put together a nice summary of the "off vs. off of" issue and I'm sure there have been threads since then. There is a distinct AmE vs BrE flavour to it, but many English speakers are fine with either (or both)

soccergal

English - US
    All three refer to ordering items that are printed on the menu, whether it's a menu in a nice restaurant, or a sign board behind the counter at a fast food restaurant. As an US English speaker, I would say that "order from" is the best, "order off" is more colloquial, and "order off of" is an example of poor grammar. I hear each of the three used frequently.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >