ordinary vs vulgarian

bsbaby

Mandarin
Hi All.

Please, if there is a colloquial word for this context:

Friends trying to think of a new group name.
Person A: How about "Big Money?
Others: You are ______.

We want to say A is a vulgarian without being offensive.
Is there a word between "ordinary" and "vulgarian"?
Thank you.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    "Rude" sounds good to me. It also is milder than 'vulgarian', because it talks about behavior rather than a person's character as 'vulgarian'. If you want more suggestions, you might look up rude and click the 'synonyms' link.

If you want something that is more critical, you might try philistine. I think it is milder than 'vulgarian', but not much.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Cagey's "philistine" is great in the sense that you can use it as a noun and an adjective.
    A) You are such a philistine. (noun)
    B) You are so philistine. (adjective)

It's my opinion that the general public would say to you "what's philistine?", but educated people would understand it.

I guess that begs the question of whether you want to use it as a noun or adjective, bsbaby?

Cagey's post made me think of "uncouth" in addition to "rude" (for mere adjectives).

bsbaby

Mandarin
    Thank you all for answering.

whether you want to use it as a noun or adjective, bsbaby?
    Noun, adjective, verb, any word is OK! :D We dont mind.

But now we are confused because -
    Here we do not intend to say A is rude.
    What A did is only suggesting a moneyed name, instead of something more impressive.
    We want to say A is ... because A thinks of money, gold etc all the time.

Vulgarian seems to be offensive (?), so we are looking for a non-offensive and more colloquial word, if any.
    and yes we need to look up philistine, and uncouth (someone even suggested ... plebeian taste).

Therefore we are asking for help.
    Merry Christmans!

Last edited:

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    This is the first time I've encountered the word "vulgarian". It sounds like an inhabitant of an imaginary country (or planet) called Vulgaria.

A suitable word might be "common", which actually sits rather well with the etymological origin of vulgar, and lacks an excess of negative baggage.

< Previous | Next >