Oreille coupée

< Previous | Next >

TheDadamb

français - France
Bonjour !
Je voudrais décrire mon chat, et je bloque sur un point : il a une oreille un peu coupée, dont il manque un petit morceau, suite à un combat contre un autre chat.
Comment pourrais-je le dire en anglais ? J'avais pensé à 'cropped' ou 'cut', mais j'aimerais avoir l'avis de personnes plus expérimentées ^^

Merci !

• jann

co-mod'
    English - USA
    Your cat is "missing a (little) piece of his ear." You could also say that his ear is "damaged," but this does not describe the nature of the problem, as a damaged ear is not necessarily missing a piece.

"Cut" is okay, but it doesn't specify the permanent nature of the injury. An ear that was simpy bleeding a little bit, but not missing a piece, could be described as "cut." "Torn" is better, because the two sides of a torn ear don't generally heal together again, so the idea of a permanent disfiguration is clearer.

"Cropped" is not appropriate: it refers to the deliberate, surgical reshaping of a dog's ears.

As a side note, cats are not the only creatures whose ears can be damaged in a fight, and this is doubtless the origin of the English term "dog-eared" (écorné, comme pour une page). I would not, however, describe your cat as dog-eared. :D

TheDadamb

français - France
    I would not either say my cat is dog-eared =D

Thanks for the translation, and for the little cultural point !

< Previous | Next >