organized a round table 'on' the book [acceptable?]

< Previous | Next >

Sextus

Spanish
Can I say "The faculty has organized a round table on the book ..." Or should I rather say something like "a round table for presenting and discussing the book".

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I believe that we speakers of AE are more likely to use the closed version. This would make it clear at first glance that you are not talking about a piece of furniture. We do use "on".
    The faculty has organized a roundtable on the book.
    I would be inclined to say "roundtable discussion". With "discussion", I would use "of".
    The faculty has organized a roundtable discussion of the book.
    This is the view of one AE speaker. BE speakers may favor different prepositions. They also may prefer the hyphenated form "round-table".

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    Hello,

A quick Google News search gives results of 'roundtable on'.

Here is one:
    The Malta Chamber of Commerce, Enterprise and Industry is holding a roundtable on investment in China, at its premises on 5 October [...]
    http://www.independent.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=112900
    So I guess your wording is fine too.

EDIT: I've just seen the answer above.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Can I say "The faculty has organized a round table on the book ..."

Or should I rather say something like "a round table for presenting and discussing the book".
    I much prefer the first, since it's correct and easily understood, and no extra words are needed; "roundtable on" means "discussion of".

I strongly suggest making it "roundtable"--one word rather than two. It may be spelled either way, but the one-word spelling always means a discussion, while the two-word spelling could also refer to a piece of furniture. Why make the reader stop mentally, if only for a second, to figure it out?

< Previous | Next >