organized delinquency vs. organized criminality

Agiii

Polish
"organized delinquency"
"organized criminality"

Is there a difference in meaning between the two?

• ekbatana

German Austria
    Organized delinquency primarily refers to criminal activity commited by juveniles and young persons (juvenile delinquents as opposed to juvenile criminals) and unlawful activities that are not quite as serious.

In everday language, there is a certain overlap of meaning between organized crime/criminality and organized delinquency.

sdgraham

USA English
    In everyday language, there is a certain overlap of meaning between organized crime/criminality and organized delinquency.
    Where do you find these terms in "everyday language?"

Advanced Google search returns a paltry 3,800 "hits" for "organized delinquency," and most of them either terms created by the author or usage by non-native speakers.

Packard

USA, English
    Text message to fellow students: Let's all be late for class today.

Result: Organized delinquency.

Gangs, which have a large portion of their membership below the age of 18 might be considered "organized juvenile delinquency".

ekbatana

German Austria
    United Nations Guidelines for the Prevention of Juvenile Delinquency (The Riyadh Guidelines)

You are technically right with your point about Organized Delinquency because it is not the juveniles who pull the strings! Many people including native speakers and educated people use this term nonetheless, maybe because there is a UN convention for the prevention of organized crime out there, parts of which is dealing with juvenile delinquency (the heading doesn't mention "organized delinquency" though). I've pasted parts of Article I of the United Nations Guidelines for the Prevention of Juvenile Delinquency below:

I. Fundamental principles

1. The prevention of juvenile delinquency is an essential part of crime prevention in society. By engaging in lawful, socially useful activities and adopting a humanistic orientation towards society and outlook on life, young persons can develop non-criminogenic attitudes.

2. The successful prevention of juvenile delinquency requires efforts on the part of the entire society to ensure the harmonious development of adolescents, with respect for and promotion of their personality from early childhood.

boozer

Bulgarian
    I only know "organised crime". If juvenile criminals have managed to get organised, there will be other ways to convey the meaning of "crime organised by juveniles"... or "organised crime among juveniles"

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    "organized delinquency"
    "organized criminality"

Is there a difference in meaning between the two?
    With all the speculation from the senior members in this thread, I am very surprised that no one has asked you for the full sentence and context, Agiii. We need those so that we can answer a little more intelligently.

Everybody, let's stop groping in the dark and wait for Agiii to provide a full sentence and some context.

Thank you!

Nunty, moderator

Matching Mole

England, English
    Agiii, would you mind providing some context for these phrases? Sentences containing the phrases and the source of the sentences would be very useful. Otherwise we can only guess at likely meanings, not to mention unlikely ones. Delinquency does not necessarily refer to juveniles, so without context we cannot say for sure that "organized delinquency" does.

Agiii

Polish
    Agiii, would you mind providing some context for these phrases? Sentences containing the phrases and the source of the sentences would be very useful. Otherwise we can only guess at likely meanings, not to mention unlikely ones. Delinquency does not necessarily refer to juveniles, so without context we cannot say for sure that "organized delinquency" does.

Yes, thank you. But I know already "organized crime" was a much better version, I just didn't think about it before.

The context is a paper I'm writing in the field of sociology of violence. I wanted to use the term as synonymous to "criminal organizations".

< Previous | Next >