organized foster care

Renatrix

polski
I'm looking for a verb that could go with 'foster care' and I'm not sure if 'organize' suits this context.
My sentence: It's local authorities' responsibility to organize foster care for children who need it.
"Provide" seems to be to general and I'd like to stress that local authorities are responsible for organizing the whole process (e.g. finding foster parents)

• owlman5

English-US
    Hi, Renatrix. By itself with no explanation, "organize" seems confusing. Are they organizing a foster-care system that already exists? Are they creating something that didn't exist before they began "organizing"? I couldn't tell you.

I don't think that "arrange for foster care" is perfectly clear either*, but I find it clearer than "organize" in this context. Perhaps another member can suggest a different rough synonym for "organize", but at the moment I can't think of anything better than "provide" or "arrange for".

* "Provide" and "arrange for" seem vague but understandable.

Renatrix

polski
    Thanks a lot, Owlman5!
    What I mean by 'organizing' foster care is implementing the procedure necessary for a child to find a foster family (using the system that already exists).
    I thought 'provide' was confusing (like if local authorities providing foster care became foster parents...). But if you're saying it's understable, I guess I'll go for 'provide.'

owlman5

English-US
    You're very welcome. I hear "provide" a lot in similar language: This legislation/program will provide health care for millions of people who are currently under-insured.

Andygc

British English
    Certainly in BE I would expect local authorities to 'provide' foster care. They organise it, recruit the foster parents, and pay the costs.

< Previous | Next >