organizing the meeting <at a high level>

Mher85

Armenian
Dear friends, which of the following versions do you like most?
1. ...for the high-level organization of...
2. ...for organizing ... at a high level.

"Minister Alexander Novak thanked for the warm welcome and for organizing the meeting of the CIS Electrical Energy Council at a high level."

• sdgraham

USA English
    What do you mean by "at a high level?"

Does it mean that you're excluding some members of the council for some reason?

As a side note, thanked whom? (thank is transitive and requires an object0

Mher85

Armenian
    What do you mean by "at a high level?"

Does it mean that you're excluding some members of the council for some reason?

As a side note, thanked whom? (thank is transitive and requires an object0
    It is just intended to mean that the given meeting was properly organized.:)

sdgraham

USA English
    I suggest you drop "at a high level." It's misleading at best.

Once you fix the "thanked" problem you can say, "...thanked [Whatshername] for the excellent job in organizing the meeting."

Kirill V.

Russian
    Or
    ... expressed his gratitude (to avoid the object:)) for ... and for the excellent organization of the meeting of the CIS Electric(al?) Energy Council
    (should it be electric energy instead of electrical?)

Mher85

Armenian
    Or
    ... expressed his gratitude (to avoid the object:)) for ... and for the excellent organization of the meeting of the CIS Electric(al?) Energy Council
    (should it be electric energy instead of electrical?)
    Or to keep the word "thank" "...expressed his thanks for ..."
    As far as I know, electric and electrical convey the same meaning?

Kirill V.

Russian
    As far as I know, electric and electrical convey the same meaning?
    I think that's right, but... I think an advice from a native speaker would be very valuable here as to which collocation sounds better in this particular context.

My sense is that when it comes to names of organizations the English-speaking world tends to choose the shortest equivalent among the available options:)
    CIS Electric Energy Council

Mher85

Armenian
    I think that's right, but... I think an advice from a native speaker would be very valuable here as to which collocation sounds better in this particular context.

My sense is that when it comes to names of organizations the English-speaking world tends to choose the shortest equivalent among the available options:)
    CIS Electric Energy Council
    You may well be right, kayve. The following source uses "electric," though it bears no relation to the English-speaking world. See the link: http://www.cisstat.com/eng/cis.htm

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >