Origin of the phrase "it's no clue"

larubichan

English
Hi, guys! Based on context, I can pretty much figure out what "it's no clue" means...

For example, in this passage:

"Japanese food is delicious! It's no clue why people all over the world crave Japanese food on a daily basis"

"It's no clue" here being the equivalent of "it's obvious."

I was just curious if anyone knew the origin of the phrase? I can't find it it any idiom guides.

• pickarooney

English (Ireland)
    You won't find it because it's not an idiomatic expression and it doesn't make any sense!

"It's no wonder" or "it's no secret" would fit better here but you'd need to lose the 'why'.
    "I've no clue why..." would also be valid, but it would be contradictory in this context.

dunescratcheur

French, English
    "You won't find it because it's not an idiomatic expression and it doesn't make any sense!"

It wasn't, at least not in BE and up until a few years ago, for sure, but....try Googling it: I got over 2 million hits so it must be an idiom for somebody, can't think who :)

....and yes, it shouldn't make sense but again it obviously does to those who use it.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=opera&hs=MJ6&rls=en&q="it's+no+clue"&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Wretched usage, it just keeps changing.

Last edited:

suzi br

English / England
    Amazing. It seems very wide-spread, though the second example about no-clue Labour is quite another idiom altogether, it seems a great many people think "it's no clue" means it is obvious!

sdgraham

USA English
    Apparently, it's a corruption of "it's no wonder." Aphorisms often become corrupted in popular use by people who don't think about what they're saying, e.g. "water under the dam."

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Larubichan , it would be interesting to know where you saw this and who wrote it.
    I get over 20,200,000 with search term it's no clue, and some variations. Not one of the instances on the first 3 pages are in fact for the phrase it's no clue. Most are for I have no clue, or no clue with it's somewhere else in the text.

I will not believe that it's no clue is replacing it's no wonder or similar phrases until I see several examples of this usage from a variety of reliable sources. It is easy to understand how some confusions and changes arise and become the standard, but this is senseless.
    Hermione

dunescratcheur

French, English
    "But if you go to page 4 of your Google search it turns into just 29. Google does that sometimes."

'Egad Sir! You're right. I feel much better now.

Unfortunately, I also think sdgraham is right and its use will become common...

Loob

English UK
    I get over 20,200,000 with search term it's no clue, and some variations. Not one of the instances on the first 3 pages are in fact for the phrase it's no clue.
    HG - do you know about the google search trick of putting inverted commas round a phrase to search for the exact phrase?

There are, as has been said above, only a handful of google hits for "it's no clue".

I really don't see why, Mr Dune - only half a dozen people seem to be using it;)

Spira

Banned
    UK English
    I agree with most of you and would have immediately answered that "It's no clue" does not exist.
    I assumed instantly that the question was asked by a foreigner, but larubichan is a declared native speaker.
    So, larubichan, do you ever use the expression yourself? Have you ever heard it said? Or could it just be that the written passage has a typo?

dunescratcheur

French, English
    "Quote:Originally Posted by dunescratcheur

"I really don't see why, Mr Dune - only half a dozen people seem to be using it"

...because WE are seeing it on the net and the few examples that are up there are a merely a small sample that reflects greater usage elsewhere, most probably in spoken AE. I would also point out that the half dozen people using it have obviously been to school and/or can competently (ish!) write advertisement copy.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >