originally <prompted> by

meramli

turkish
BBC NEWS 2010 : Singapore reports economic growth
But Singapore's main trading partner remains the European Union.And, despite austerity measures imposed by EU governments,exports to the bloc surged 75% in June.
That prompted Singapore's government to raise its annual growth forecast to a record high of between 13 and 15% for the year.

ISLAM IN REVOLUTION-HRAIR DEKMEJIAN
However, the most potent catalyst of the Arab culture crisis is the disruptive impact of modernization.The motivation to modernize was originally prompted by the desire to emulate the West in achieving military strength and economic development.

I think the meanings of 'prompt' are different in these two quotes but I'm not sure, could you explain if they are different and what is the meaning of the first 'prompt'?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
  • Egmont

English - U.S.
    They basically mean the same thing: to cause an act in response to something else.

First, Singapore's exports to Europe went up. As a result, Singapore raised its growth forecast.

First, Arabs wanted to emulate the West in two ways. As a result, they were motivated to modernize.

(The verb to prompt also has other unrelated meanings, such as reminding actors of lines that they forgot. You probably know that.)

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The verb to prompt also has other unrelated meanings, such as reminding actors of lines that they forgot. You probably know that.
    I would say that is the same meaning:

To prompt = to do or say something in order to cause someone or something to start an action.

meramli

turkish
    I thought that the first means 'caused' and the second means 'motivated' and they seem different still to me, I couldn't solve.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    There are not two meanings - there is only one. You have been confused by the first example being in the active voice and the second in the passive voice.

1. That prompted Singapore's government to raise its annual growth forecast ... -> active
    2a. The motivation to modernize was originally prompted by the desire-> passive
    2b. The desire prompted the motivation to modernise -> active

It would be better to understand to prompt something as to [attempt to] cause something to start.

< Previous | Next >