originate in/at the periphery?

< Previous | Next >

Camlearner

Khmer
Hi

Actually I am searching the meaning of originating in the periphery? but I found the title here (http://jn.physiology.org/content/86/1/156.full.pdf) originating at the periphery So I think originating in the periphery = originating at the periphery? and what does it mean?

My context is a quote from a printed report:

It's strange that despite many data originating in the periphery, the level of strategic reporting is rather weak...
Thanks

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    The page to which you link is a list of articles about respiration in pond snails. Having limited knowledge of the anatomy of pond snails (practically none, actually), I don't know what part of the snails or their shells may be viewed as the periphery. But in general, to originate is to begin, and the periphery of something is the edge or border.

Camlearner

Khmer
    Thanks Parla but what does data originating in the periphery here mean?
    It's strange that despite many data originating in the periphery, the level of strategic reporting is rather weak...

Camlearner

Khmer
    Thanks all so can anyone continue my sentence please?

It's strange that despite many data originating in the periphery, the level of strategic reporting is rather weak... MEANS:

It's strange that despite many data beginning ... ... ..., the level of strategic reporting is rather weak...

wandle

English - British
    In the article you have linked (#1), the periphery means the peripheral nervous system, in contrast to the central nervous system.
    As a matter of English usage, I would say either 'originates at the periphery' or 'originates in the peripheral nervous system'.
    However, for your question about 'data originating in the periphery' this needs more context for the meaning to be seen. Please quote a full sentence, and preferably one before and after.

Last edited:

Camlearner

Khmer
    Thanks wandle for you help willing to make me understand better.

Please see below for more quote:

Our organization tries to improve strategic oversight of the program, but it's strange that despite many data originating in the periphery, the level of strategic reporting is rather weak. For example, there was practically no reporting from 2005 to 2010 on most of our 12 strategic components included in our master plan. Strategic reporting should help us solve cross-cutting issues affecting our program areas.

wandle

English - British
    I would understand this as comparing the corporate headquarters of the organisation to the brain (central nervous system) and the subsidiary companies to the organs of the body (where the peripheral nervous system is).
    The meaning then would be:
    'Although much of the data comes from our subsidiary companies, the strange thing is that strategic reporting is weak.'
    Why is this strange? Presumably because information useful for strategic reporting is held by subsidiary companies (but, unfortunately, this particular information is not being included in the reports to HQ).

< Previous | Next >