other legal contract [other + singular noun]

daruk

Korean
Hello, forum gurus!

definition of covenant(verb): to agree by lease, deed, or other legal contract

Is the underlined part correct?
Shouldn't it be something like any other legal contract, or other legal contracts?
There is no the, any, my, etc, that restricts the noun contract.

Or, can we just say that contract is used as some abstract noun, not as a countable noun?

Last edited:
  • Forero

Hello, forum gurus!

definition of covenant(verb): to agree by lease, deed, or other legal contract

Is the underlined part correct?
    Yes.
    Shouldn't it be something like any other legal contract, or other legal contracts?
    There is no the, any, my, etc, that restricts the noun contract.

Or, can we just say that contract is used as some abstract noun, not as a countable noun?
    Contract is just as much a singular count noun here as lease and deed.

You could say "by a lease, deed, or other legal contract", using one article for all 3 things, and you could say "by a lease, a deed, or another legal contract", but why would you want to?

daruk

Korean
    Yes.

Contract is just as much a singular count noun here as lease and deed.

You could say "by a lease, deed, or other legal contract", using one article for all 3 things, and you could say "by a lease, a deed, or another legal contract", but why would you want to?
    I see. I see.
    Thank you, Forero!

PS: The reason I would want to add a, the, or some kind of restricting word is because lease, deed, and contract are countable nouns. So I was thinking that the given definition of covenant could be ungrammatical.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I agree that the singular is fine.
    It's this use of other as an adjective:
    1. different from the one mentioned: Some other player might be better at the game.