Other than this effort to deter them

< Previous | Next >

nagomi

Korean
"The government is really unable to demonstrate why they should keep people locked up, other than to punish them, other than this effort to deter them from pursuing their claims."

I've searched through the forum and found "other than to + verb" works fine. But I'm still not sure about "other than" + "this effort to (verb)". I feel there should be something more, maybe a BE verb: "other than this effort being to deter them" or "other than this effort designed to deter them" because "other than to" structure means "if it's not for this, it can't be true or have a different purpose".

what do you think?

source: A Look At Potential Challenges To Attorney General Barr's Asylum Decision

• owlman5

English-US
    The combination of "demonstrate why" with a series of phrases beginning with "other than to..." doesn't make any sense.

But I'm still not sure about "other than" + "this effort to (verb)". I feel there should be something more, maybe a BE verb: "other than this effort being to deter them" or "other than this effort designed to deter them" because "other than to" structure means "if it's not for this, it can't be true or have a different purpose".
    I'm not sure about it either, except in some limited and fairly useless statements: I do it for no reason other than to annoy you. I simply can't imagine any need to say that with any frequency.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >