Other ways of saying he is "whipped"

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermarioutd

Persian
Hello everyone.

I want to say a husband is under his wife's control and says whatever she tells him. Is there any other way than saying he is whipped?

Is "she keeps him on a short leash" offensive?

How common is hen-pecked?

I need to know some other ways as well.

Thanks in advance

• The Newt

English - US
    "Hen-pecked" is a bit dated now. "She wears the pants in the family," perhaps, but that's dated also. "Whipped" is common but slightly vulgar. "She keeps him on a short / tight leash" may be best.

Uncle Jack

British English
    Hen-pecked is the obvious choice in British English, but I have no idea whether it is used outside these islands.

Any way of describing the situation could appear offensive to someone; it is not the sort of thing people take care to use neutral expressions over. I don't see any problem with "she keeps him on a short leash".

heypresto

English - England
    "She keeps him on a short leash" isn't particularly offensive - except perhaps to the husband.

'Hen-pecked' is, I think, pretty common.

I've never heard 'whipped' in this context.

supermarioutd

Persian
    "Hen-pecked" is a bit dated now. "She wears the pants in the family," perhaps, but that's dated also. "Whipped" is common but slightly vulgar. "She keeps him on a short / tight leash" may be best.
    I think if someone says my mom keeps my dad on a short leash that would be inappropriate!

kentix

English - U.S.
    Whipped in U.S. English is usually used in an entirely different context and is not a synonym for hen-pecked. It's used for a guy who will do anything for a woman he's attracted to (and generally not married to) because he's infatuated with her. It's the opposite of your intended meaning. Sometimes the woman realizes it and takes advantage of it and sometimes she's clueless. It describes his feelings and behaviors, not hers.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    We don't provide lists of words, but if you would like more words to consider, you can use the synonym function on our definition page. To do this start with a word that has the meaning you have in mind. In this case, I suggest that you start with henpecked. On the definition page, below the search box, you will see the link: English synonyms. This will lead to a list of synonyms. Clicking on any word in that page will lead to a list synonyms of that word -- if that list exists. And so on. You can also look up the definitions of any word you are unsure of.

It may be difficult to find a word or phrase that specifically refers to a woman who is thought to have too much influence over a man. There is less concern than there once was about women's having too much power.

If you find a word or phrase that you are interested in, you could start a thread to ask whether it suits the specific sentence you have in mind.

I am closing this thread to give you a fresh start.

Cagey,

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >