others who look like their dog family is made up of whoever .....

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    More context will be helpful:
    This is from an article titled "Why Did You Pick Your Dog?" on a website about dogs for dog-owners.

Some people only ever have small dogs. Others love big ones.

I’ve met people who only ever have one breed of dog. And others who look like their dog family is made up of whoever walked in their door.

Note: Useful information should be included in the post itself. A link is not enough.

Ezhevika

Russian
    Hi!
    It means that their dog family (all the dogs that they have) may consist of different kind of breeds, not only one breed.
    Because in previous sintence is written that some people prefer only one breed, and then couterposition comes - and some shelter any dog that comes in the door.

Cagey

English - US
    Yes, I agree. :)

The sentence you are asking about is comparing people who will take any kind of dog as their pet to people who always choose the same kind. I think there are two things that may make this difficult to see.

One problem is that the second sentence isn't really separate from the previous sentence. They broke it off at 'and' for emphasis, but more conventionally, it would be written as:

I’ve met people who only ever have one breed of dog and others who look like their dog family is made up of whoever walked in their door.

The second problem is that it is a little surprising to see 'whoever' used to refer to a dog. We usually assume that 'whoever' refers to a person.

So, to fill out the thought:

I’ve met people who only ever have one breed of dog and [I've met] others [=other people] who look like their dog family is made up of whoever [=whatever dog] walked in their door.

Emi japan

Japanese Japanese
    Yes, I agree. :)

The sentence you are asking about is comparing people who will take any kind of dog as their pet to people who always choose the same kind. I think there are two things that may make this difficult to see.

One problem is that the second sentence isn't really separate from the previous sentence. They broke it off at 'and' for emphasis, but more conventionally, it would be written as:

I’ve met people who only ever have one breed of dog and others who look like their dog family is made up of whoever walked in their door.

The second problem is that it is a little surprising to see 'whoever' used to refer to a dog. We usually assume that 'whoever' refers to a person.

So, to fill out the thought:

I’ve met people who only ever have one breed of dog and [I've met] others [=other people] who look like their dog family is made up of whoever [=whatever dog] walked in their door.
    Hi!
    It means that their dog family (all the dogs that they have) may consist of different kind of breeds, not only one breed.
    Because in previous sintence is written that some people prefer only one breed, and then couterposition comes - and some shelter any dog that comes in the door.
    Thank you for your explanation. However, I still don't understand the structure of the sentence.

I've met people (who ever have one bleed of dog)
    and
    I've met other people (who look like their dog family)
    is made up of whatever dog walked in their door. ← what does it mean?
    Is it written in more different way?

Thank you in advance!
    Emi

Edited to merge successive posts. Cagey, moderator.

Cagey

English - US
    They didn't choose their dogs. If a dog walked into their door, they made that dog part of their family, no matter what kind of dog it was.

Emi japan

Japanese Japanese
    They didn't choose their dogs. If a dog walked into their door, they made that dog part of their family no matter what kind of dog it was.
    Thanks for your quick reply! Is the sentence natural for you? It is a bit strange for me.

Cagey

English - US
    As I said above, it is unusual to use 'whoever' to refer to a dog. Aside from this, I don't think it's strange.

< Previous | Next >