Otro de la misma - Gender confusion

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by jazzboyrules, Nov 8, 2010.

1. jazzboyrules New Member

North Carolina, USA
    Hindi, Gujarati, English-India
    Hi all,

I was listening to Coffee Break Spanish episode 16 the other day. In that the instructor Mark says that in order to order an another of any drink, use the phrase "otro de la misma".

He does not provide more explanation about that. It is conflicting to me because drinks could be of masculine or feminine gender.

Then for masculine gender drinks like "el vino", shouldn't it be,
    "otro de lo mismo"?

For feminine gender drinks like "la limonada", shouldn't it be,
    "otra de la misma"?

What's more confusing is that Mark used masculine "otro" with feminine "la misma" in the same phrase...

What is correct??

Thank you.

2. Nagini_bcn

Nagini_bcn Senior Member

Barcelona
    Catalán - Español
    It does not make sense.

You could even say : Otra de lo mismo. (Otra copa de lo mismo que él está tomando)

But otro de la misma? I don't see it and it looks like incorrect. Maybe if you could explain a little bit more about the situation...

3. jmx

jmx Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spain / Spanish
    The gender is linked to the referents. For example:

Otro (vaso) de la misma (bebida).
    Otra (taza) del mismo (café).
    Otra (taza) de lo mismo. ("lo mismo" is neuter and doesn't need a precise referent)
    etc.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  4. jazzboyrules New Member

North Carolina, USA
    Oh I apologize, I listened to that Coffee Break Spanish episode again. Here is the link: radiolingua[dot]com/2009/03/lesson-16-coffee-break-spanish (just replace "[dot]" with ".")

The thing I am talking about comes around the 3 minute mark.

The instructor Mark says "otra de lo mismo", not "otro de la misma".

Mark talks about the situation where you have just ordered something like a limonade or wine and you want to order another one of it.

But still the confusion is still there.. isn't "otra" associated to feminine and "lo mismo" associated to masculine genders?

Thanks for pointing out that mistake, at least now I know that "otro de la misma" is totally incorrect and "otra de lo mismo" is correct. But I would like to understand why 2 different genders are used in the same phrase.

5. Agró

Agró Senior Member

Alta Navarra
    Spanish-Navarre
    Podría ser:
    Otra (ronda) de lo mismo.

(si había varias personas)

6. jazzboyrules New Member

North Carolina, USA
    Thanks for the reply. From what I learnt online:
    (1) spanish[dot]about[dotcom/cs/grammar/a/objectpronouns.htm
    (2) www[dot]studyspanish[dot]com/lessons/dopro1.htm

both "lo" and "la" are direct object pronouns where "lo" is used for masculine and "la" is used for feminine gender objects.

Your examples using "otra (taza)" very much make sense to me. Thanks!

Also could you point me to more grammar on "lo mismo" that says that that can be used for any gender?

Update: Oh I found some more grammar where "lo" is used for neuter.
    Wow! It's complicated.. but interesting.. I hope to get a better hang of this as I learn more Spanish :)
    spanish[dot]about[dot]com/cs/grammar/a/neuter.htm

Thanks!!

7. jazzboyrules New Member

North Carolina, USA
    Thanks Agró! "otra (ronda)" also makes very much sense.
    It means "another round" of "whatever drink".. right?

Alright so now I am clear that "otra" can be used for any of the drinks masculine or feminine.

But I am still now confident if "lo mismo" can be used for both masculine and feminine.

Is "lo" a direct object pronoun over here? Meaning can it be used only for masculine objects?

8. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

"Lo mismo" is neuter. My understanding is that "lo" is used for abstractions.

9. jazzboyrules New Member

North Carolina, USA
    Thanks k!

So finally I have reached to this conclusion:

"otra de lo mismo"

(1) Here "otra" can be inferred like "otra (taza)" or "otra (ronda)".. basically "another cup" or "another round".
    (2) "lo mismo" means "same of 'it'" where 'it' could be pointing to any drink.. "la limonada", "el vino"...

Correct?

So in conclusion, I can use "otra de lo mismo" for "la limonada" and "el vino".

Anyone please point out if my understanding is incorrect.