Ottoman Turkish بورمه‎ (burma)

< Previous | Next >

Encolpius

Hungarian
Good morning ladies & gentlemen, some languages use burma for wedding ring (you use alyans from French - interesting), burma is from burmak, what does or maybe did burma mean? I mean if burma meant something different many years ago, in Ottoman Turkish, you know I have no idea what Ottoman Turkish is. Thanks a lot & have a nice day. Enco.

• Torontal

Hungarian
    burmak 1. to twist, to screw; to wring. 2. to castrate by strangulation of the neck of the scrotum. 3. to gripe (bowels). 4. to cause an acrid feeling in the mouth. 6. archaic to wind, wrap (around).

burma
    1. verbal noun of burmak 2. screwed, twisted, spiral; screw, anything having a screw thread; screw thread, screw, convolution; formed by twisting. 3. gripe of colic. 4. castrated by twisting. 5. tap, faucet, cock. 6. prov. bracelet.

Source: Türkçe/Osmanlıca-İngilizce Redhouse Sözlüğü Turkish/Ottoman-English Redhouse Dictionary

burmak 1. (meg)teker; (meg/ki)csavar, (meg)pödör, sodor (vmit); 2. (szájat) összehúz; 3. herél, kasztrál; 4. (átv) fáj; görcsöl

burma I. fn 1. süteményfajta; 2. csavart arany karkötő; 3. kasztrálás, herélés; II. mn csavart, tekert;

Source: Benderli Gün-Gülen Yılmaz-Kakuk Zsuzsa-Tasnádi Edit: Török-magyar szótár/Türkçe-Macarca Sözlük

I wonder if the "wedding ring" meaning comes from the Turkish "bracelet" or from the "castration" sense of the word :D

rarabara

Turkish
    Good morning ladies & gentlemen, some languages use burma for wedding ring (you use alyans from French - interesting), burma is from burmak, what does or maybe did burma mean? I mean if burma meant something different many years ago, in Ottoman Turkish, you know I have no idea what Ottoman Turkish is. Thanks a lot & have a nice day. Enco.
    good evening.
    we still use "burma bilezik" or "burmalı bilezik" (but this last one ,not in common ,maybe in old turkish (ottoman turkish or in kurdish).
    you could find the sample for apperance of "burma bilezik" here : 20 Gr 22 Ayar Burma Bilezik 22 Ayar Bilezik Modelleri ve Fiyatları - n11.com (maybe its close (but not equivalent) meaning is "ornamented bracelet")

Encolpius

Hungarian
    Some cultural question. Have you got any idea if you used wedding ring or some sort of bracelet for wedding in Ottoman era?

rarabara

Turkish
    Some cultural question. Have you got any idea if you used wedding ring or some sort of bracelet for wedding in Ottoman era?
    ya yes. this type of bracalet is generally (still) wanted/requested from groom part (but before wedding). for instance ,I remember my one or two bigger brother had been requested for that before wedding. but if you meant "alyans" with "ring" then this is used only for a ring that used for engagement (engagement:just the time period before wedding). I was supposing that this word was originally english word ("alliance") but I see, you state that it would be from franch originally.interesting.

< Previous | Next >