Our client and us / our client and we ?

figooo

French (France)
Hi all,
Which one of the following is correct, (if any)?

Our client and us are delighted to...
Our client and we are delighted to...

I tend to think the latter is best but it seems that this structure is quite rare, which tells me I should use something else.

Thanks in advance!

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Yes, use 'we'. Colloquially, 'me' is often used in pairs like 'my friend and me are', but anything at all formal should use 'I', and there isn't the same variation with 'we'/'us'. It is not perhaps common to speak of groups like 'our client and we', but if you have occasion to, that's the natural way to do it.

In fact 'we and our client' would do just as well. We don't much use 'I' in first position of a pair, but 'we' can go first.

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Neither structure sounds good at all. Sorry, this is a moment where English doesn't have a functional solution, since the grammatically correct and polite option ("Our client and we") doesn't sound good at all. "We and our client" sounds better, but I assume you want to have "our client" at the beginning of the sentence.

Revise the whole thing. Maybe try to weasel out of it. If you mention earlier that "our client" is one of the members making up "we," then you just need to use "we" in this sentence.

figooo

French (France)
    Neither structure sounds good at all. Sorry, this is a moment where English doesn't have a functional solution, since the grammatically correct and polite option ("Our client and we") doesn't sound good at all. "We and our client" sounds better, but I assume you want to have "our client" at the beginning of the sentence.

Revise the whole thing. Maybe try to weasel out of it. If you mention earlier that "our client" is one of the members making up "we," then you just need to use "we" in this sentence.
    We and our client is an option for me but not fantastic either.
    That's what I felt so I will have to rephrase the whole thing. Thanks!

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Could you perhaps give the whole sentence? My immediate thought is that having both "our client" and "we" in the subject is somewhat redundant. If you're issuing an invitation on your client's behalf, then it seems obvious that you're participating somehow, for instance.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Is it a problem with the singular "client" and the plural "are"? Would it sound better as "Our clients and we are..."? If the client is a company rather than an individual person it would be OK to refer to the company as plural clients.

Another option: Together with our client(s), we are delighted to ...

MikeNewYork

English-American
    Is it a problem with the singular "client" and the plural "are"? Would it sound better as "Our clients and we are..."? If the client is a company rather than an individual person it would be OK to refer to the company as plural clients.

Another option: Together with our client(s), we are delighted to ...
    That is a good solution. Another would be: Our client, along with us, is delighted to...

< Previous | Next >