our love is merely suffering the test of fire

sun27

Italian
our love is merely suffering the test of fire..
I read this phrase in a romance but I'm not sure about the meaning :confused:
I think he meant the relationship was cooling down, it's that right?
thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
  • sun27

Italian
    Può significare che la relazione non si sta spegnendo ma solo modificando?
    Come quando all'inizio di una relazione ci si telefona 10 volte al giorno e quando questa diventa più stabile ci si sente solo 1 volta ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Angel.Aura

Italian
    A me viene in mente solo una traduzione letterale che ha una sfumatura leggermente differente.
    Cioè: Il nostro amore sta soltanto affrontando la prova del fuoco
    Non vuole dire necessariamente che la relazione si spegne o si modifica, solo che si deve fronteggiare un qualche ostacolo decisivo.
    Che ne pensi?

sun27

Italian
    Non penso che la traduzione letterale sia vicina al vero significato della frase.
    Forse sarebbe utile l'interpretazione di qualcuno madrelingua...
    Grazie comunque per il tentativo.

SuperGaara

Italian
    Visto che "test firing" = "lancio di prova", magari in questa frase si dice che tale amore è ancora ai primi albori e i due amanti stanno affrontando un periodo iniziale di prova.

Ma è solo una mia supposizione...

AngelEyes

English - United States
    our love is merely suffering the test of fire..

Romance stories always have as their main theme the relationship of two people who meet and fall in love and then they have to overcome some sort of obstacle before the story ends with them being together. Obviously, these two people are experiencing some difficulty at this time.

I think what this line means here is that they have come to a point in the story where they're suffering pain of some kind - it's probably emotional, but it could be literally physically painful, too.

The burning pain of a hot fire if you come in contact with it is used here so the reader can identify with that pain. From the time we're little children, we're taught to stay away from the stove - Don't touch that. It's hot!

This pain you're talking about here is almost inevitable. No two people can be together and not run into problems. This is what's happening to these people now: they're being tested with something painful and they must "rise to the occasion" and prove they can withstand whatever it is that will keep them together.

Also, there's a subtle sexual vibration going on. This is a romance, after all. :D

That's the use of the word fire. Think of the hot flames of your burning desires and you'll get the picture. ;)

AngelEyes

sun27

Italian
    She was complaing their love was fading too soon and he said : I hope our relationship isn't fading , merely suffering the test of fire....
    SuperGaara has right the relationship is at the begining but I guess they are expiriencing a burning and fast relationship and this is why she's complain because she is having emotional pain like AngelEyes explained before.
    Many thanks for all your help.