our public line on both sides of the Atlantic

cannonkuo

Mandarin
Thank you for giving me advance warning of your decision on certification and Argentina.2 As you say, this is a delicate question for us. My immediate concern, now that your decision is taken, is that our public line on both sides of the Atlantic should be such as to minimize the difficulties which will inevitably arise.
(source:Foreign Relations of the United States, 1981–1988, Volume XIII, Conflict in the South Atlantic, 1981–1984 - Office of the Historian)

Does line on both sides of the Atlantic mean policies towards the Americas and Europe?
Thank you.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    No. The meaning depends on who is meant by "our" in "our public line". I imagine it refers to Britain and the US, and "on both sides of the Atlantic" just reinforces the point: the British government on one side of the Atlantic and the US government on the other. However, "our" could refer just to Britain, in which case "on both sides of the Atlantic" probably refers to the British government on one side and British diplomats in America on the other.

The "line" is presumably policy in relation to Argentina.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Does line on both sides of the Atlantic mean policies
    No. For one thing, "line" is not part of "line on both sides..."; it is part of "public line".
    This means that the line (or official position) that we express in public (everywhere, and specifically on both sides of the Atlantic) should be such as to ...
    Of course, we may also have a hidden agenda, a "private" line or secret position, that we don't want anyone to know about. Our job is to say in public only those things that we believe the public will approve of. :)

kentix

English - U.S.
    Yes, without reading further, the sentence suggests to me that it means the writer thinks the U.S. and UK governments should coordinate what they say publicly. They recognize they have a fundamental disagreement, but they want their two public statements to minimize to the extent possible whatever differences exist, and to definitely avoid saying things that suggest there is a large gulf between them.