Our system of government was designed so that it could be adjusted to the changing needs of the times

< Previous | Next >

sooah

Korean
Our system of government (1)was designed so that it could be adjusted (2)to the changing needs of the times. Yet, to bring about these timely adjustments requires intelligent, human action. The finest framework of government that the mind of man can conceive (3)would come to naught unless capable, energetic men and women of principle (4)are administered.

Can anyone explain the answer to this question??? I want to say the answer is (1) and change it into "is designed", but (4) sounds weird and one of my friends thinks the answer is (3). Please help me out :(

• grassy

Polish
    Can anyone explain the answer to this question??? I want to say the answer is (1) and change it into "is designed",
    Both "is designed" and "was designed" are correct. On second thought, it has to be "was designed" because it has to agree with "could".
    but (4) sounds weird and one of my friends thinks the answer is (3)
    What "answers" are you talking about? What's the purpose of the exercise?

sooah

Korean
    Both "is designed" and "was designed" are correct.

What "answers" are you talking about? What's the purpose of the exercise?
    One of the underlined phrases is grammatically incorrect. The goal is to find the one which is ungrammatical and make it grammatical. Sorry for my question not being clear enough.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    (4) is definitely wrong.

But I'm not sure what to say instead. Those men and women of principle must _do what?______

sooah

Korean
    Both "is designed" and "was designed" are correct. On second thought, it has to be "was designed" because it has to agree with "could".
    I thought "could" was just conveying the meaning of possibility. If "was designed" is grammatically correct, which one (among the underlined phrases) would you say sounds a bit odd?

Last edited by a moderator:

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Yes, "are administered" doesn't make sense. I imagine they meant "are placed in administrative positions."

< Previous | Next >