our twelve points go to... or our twelve points goes to

leoskop

Spanish - Catalan
Eurovision Song Contest.
What country was the jury that pronounced the best English when they gave the scores? Many of them said the word 'go' when it should say 'goes', am I right?
Unfortunatly I wasn't listening very carefully the contest but I noticed that some juries said go and others said goes.
For example, they said 'our twelve points go or goes to Norway'. My question is, how should we treat the word twelve in this case? How an individual thing? , or as multiple separate points as a plural?
What should we use? Our twelve points go to... or Our twelve points goes to...
the only thing that comes to my mind is...
our twelve points go to = nuestros doce puntos van a
our twelve points goes to = nuestros doce puntos son para

• Twist-ful

English
    Hi, to me the version with goes sounds wrong. It seems to go against all logic that 12 points (which is obviously plural) should be used with a verb in the singular (goes)

I would definitely say "our 12 points go to...."

leoskop

Spanish - Catalan
    Hi Twist-ful! First of all thanks for answer, I share your point of view, I'm trying for getting any video about the juries' vote to listen again for seeing who pronounced goes and I'll be back here again...
    bye for now

Twist-ful

English
    Yeah, try to see what the UK and the Irish juries said, as they're the only native English speakers. (Although sometimes natives make gramatical mistakes, they usually say what sounds most natural.)

Wandering JJ

British English
    Being a Brit married to an Irish woman, I would say "Our 12 points go to..."

All the same, I would accept "Our 12 points goes to" even from native speakers, with the underlying sense of "Our [top score of] 12 points goes to... "

leoskop

Spanish - Catalan
    To be honest, I thought in a first moment I was making a foolish question but I was persuaded both could be right. I made me this question because I noticed a different pronunciation between the speakers from Holand, Sweden, Norway, Swiss and expecially UK and Ireland to the speakers from other Europe countries. I understood 'goes' to the native speakers but I'm not sure at all because I am still learning.
    Thank Mr. Wandering, your oppinion has been very explanatory.

Last edited:

flyingcabbage

English - Ireland
    Gramáticamente, sería "Our twelve points go to..." porque "puntos" son plurales. "One point goes to..." but "Two points go to".

Sin embargo, como ha dicho WanderingJJ, puede ser que los otros trataban de "twelve points" como un sustantivo singular en sí mismo - como si habían nombrado la puntuación de doce puntos "twelve-points".
    Our (score of) twelve points goes to...

Pues, en este caso, ambos pueden ser correctos, pero en general:
    singular = goes (Our friend goes to Spain every year)
    plural = go (Our friends go to Spain every year)

:)

leoskop

Spanish - Catalan
    Gracias por tu opinión amigo flyingcabbage.
    Me quedo con la idea de que al igual que los españoles cometemos al hablar algunos errores gramaticales que estan extendidos en las conversaciones cotidianas.
    Ayer pregunté a mi profesora (escocesa) de inglés, y me respondió exactamente igual que usted, pero hoy me ha contado que se marchó pensándolo y que le generó dudas sobre que probablemente si dijeran "goes" en un ambiente familiar.
    Gracias a todos por contestar a una curiosidad mia
    bye for now

< Previous | Next >