Ours is essentially a tragic age, so we refuse to take it t

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here is
the first paragraph of the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover by Lawrence (the University of Adelaide,here):
"
Ours is essentially a tragic age, so we refuse to take it tragically. The cataclysm has happened, we are among the ruins, we start to build up new little habitats, to have new little hopes. It is rather hard work: there is now no smooth road into the future: but we go round, or scramble over the obstacles. We’ve got to live, no matter how many skies have fallen."

What does the first sentence mean please? Especially take it tragically. And I think this sentence should be "Ours is essentially a tragic age, but(not "so")we refuse to take it tragically( I guess it means we refuse to face it in a tragic way)".

Could native English speakers give me a hand please?
Thank you advance

Last edited:
  • OED Loves Me Not

Japanese - Osaka
    Ours is essentially a tragic age, so we refuse to take it tragically.
    Yours is not the kind of question that takes a native speaker to answer correctly, I believe.

(1) Here, "take it tragically" means "feel or consider it in a tragic manner." It can be
    interpreted in the same way as "take it serious (seriously)."

(2) In reading Lawrence's remark at the beginning of his celebrated novel, we must interpret
    the conjunction "so" in a literal way. The quoted sentence means something along
    these lines:

"Our age is essentially tragic. We refuse to feel or consider it tragically
    not only "despite" the fact that it is tragic, it is also precisely "because" it is tragic
    that we refuse to take it seriously. Why? It is because, if we take it tragically,
    we tend to give up and stop trying to build new things. However, we must
    start anew and live on. We've got to live, no matter how many disasters and
    tragedies we have suffered. Yes, we are in a tragic age. But we must not just grieve.
    Life goes on."

longxianchen

chinese
    Thank you two.
    "Our age is essentially tragic. We refuse to feel or consider it tragically
    not only "despite" the fact that it is tragic, it is also precisely "because" it is tragic
    that we refuse to take it seriously. Why? It is because, if we take it tragically,
    we tend to give up and stop trying to build new things. However, we must
    start anew and live on. We've got to live, no matter how many disasters and
    tragedies we have suffered. Yes, we are in a tragic age. But we must not just grieve.
    Life goes on."
    Good explanation. I'm wonder how a Japanese is so good at English. << Please use Private Message system to exchange personal information. >>

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >