out of sheer magnanimity

< Previous | Next >
  • Andygc

British English
    hail91. Please provide us with a complete sentence. You should also tell us where you found it and about the context in which it was being used. You may quote up to a total of 4 sentences of the original text if that makes the circumstances in which the phrase was used clearer.

Please note that I have changed the title of your post. I suggest that you read
    The Longer Guide to English Only to make sure that you understand how to ask a question here.

Andygc, moderator

Last edited:

hail91

Arabic
    I'm so sorry.
    this is the whole sentences from the text:
    (Some banal love story about a nobleman and a lower middle class girl who can't marry and who then, out of sheer magnanimity,
    renounce their love for each other)

sdgraham

USA English
    I don't see how the word fits in your context of abandoning love, but our dictionary defines it.

Concise Oxford English Dictionary © 2008 Oxford University Press:
    magnanimous /magˈnanɪməs/
    adjectivegenerous or forgiving, especially towards a rival or less powerful person.

– derivatives
    magnanimity /ˌmagnəˈnɪmɪti/ noun,

e2efour

UK English
    Hello hail91 and welcome to the forum!

It means that they acted completely unselfishly and with no thoughts of revenge against the system (or people?) who were the cause of their situation.
    There is not much context in the sentence (or rather the near-sentence you gave) so it's not really clear why they were acting magnanimously.

Does this make sense to you? If not, perhaps you could quote the sentence before and the sentence after.

< Previous | Next >